File- AP Photo/Anupam Nath
Gogoi Visits Violence-Hit Districts As Toll Goes Up to 41

Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today visited violence-hit Baksa and Kokrajhar districts and assured the people that his government would provide them security as five more bodies were recovered taking the toll to 41.

Official sources said Gogoi visited the victims in some of the relief camps, including Balapara.

The people told him that the surrendered BLT militants were involved in the attack on them with the alleged help of Forest Guards, sources said.

Although the state government has put the blame for the twin attack on the banned NDFB(S), the affected people claimed it was an act of revenge by Congress' alliance partner, Bodoland People's Front, as they had voted for a non-Bodo candidate during the Lok Sabha polls in the state last month, sources said.

The wailing victims also wanted the villages to be provided with licensed arms for their protection and demanded that their areas be separated from the autonomous Bodoland Territorial Autonomous District (BTAD) administered by former BLT leaders who have now formed the Bodoland People's Front (BPF), sources said.

Meanwhile, the five bodies fished out this morning from Beki river that flows from Baksa district, are yet to be identified and includes that of a 10-year old girl bearing bullet injuries on her head. Three of the bodies were found in Barpeta district and two from neighbouring Baksa district.

"Officially, we have not identified the bodies yet but the families have identified them to be from the affected areas," Baksa DC Vinod Seshan said.

"However, identification has to be done to ascertain whether these are the victims of the attack in Narayanguri and Hagrabari villages," Seshan told PTI.

A team of 40 NDRF personnel, which reached the spot yesterday, started their operation from this morning to fish out more bodies from the Beki river. With the recovery of the bodies the violence toll has mounted to 41, sources said.

With no fresh incident reported so far, the administration has relaxed the indefinite curfew in worst-hit Baksa district for eight hours from 8 am, in Kokrajhar district for seven hours from 10 am and the prohibitory order as a preventive measure in Chirang district for 13 hours from 5 am.

Suspected NDFB(S) militants had unleashed violence in the two districts of Baksa and Kokrajhar since May 1.

Emerging story. Watch this space for updates as more details come in
Follow us on Twitter for all updates, like us on Facebook for important and fun stuff
Translate into:
© Copyright PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of any PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without their prior written consent.


Post a Comment
Share your thoughts
You are not logged in, please log in or register
Must See
Daily Mail
Digression

3/D-120
May 07, 2014
02:01 PM

Jamal sahib

But those NDF Terrorists are doing what the Gogoi Sarkar is not doing though asked by SC to throw out the Bangladeshi Infilatrators .

I must have failed to notice your confirmation as an Inidan Muslims that illegal Bangladeshis' be thrown out of India as they are becoming resource crunch and load upon us to feed them .They bring along them ISI-Jihadi-Lashkari  Muslim Terrorists for 'tor phor' in your's and mine Country -that is India.

ashok kumar ghai
Mumbai, India
2/D-116
May 07, 2014
01:48 PM

Jamal

Yes they are both Hindu and Christain terrorists

ashok kumar ghai
Mumbai, India
1/D-112
May 07, 2014
01:38 PM
>>>Suspected NDFB(S) militants had unleashed violence<<< They should be called TERRORISTS. Why is this double standard? If anyone kills any innocent person, the killer should be called terrorist regardless of his faith, cast and creed.
Jamaluddin Rawther, Chennai
Order by

Order by

Order by

ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SUBSCRIBE | ADVERTISING RATES | COPYRIGHT & DISCLAIMER | COMMENTS POLICY

OUTLOOK TOPICS:    a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   
Or just type in a few initial letters of a topic: