A day after the bomb blasts that rocked a Guwahati bound train claiming a life, the CB-CID Police today released a CCTV footage of a person whose movements raised suspicion in what could be a first ever lead in the investigation.
The video footage released at an hurriedly called press conference by CB-CID IGP Mahesh Kumar Agarwal said, "The movement of a person found in some clippings is unusual and need verification."
The image of the suspect, a bald headed middle aged man was clearly visible in the footage who got down from S3 coach, next to the S4 and S5 which bore the brunt of the blast.
However, Agarwal made it clear that the suspect did not board the train at Chennai Central station and was only disembarking hurriedly.
"He was seen running from the train moments after it chugged into the platform No 9. The movement of a person found in some clippings is unusual and need verification," Agarwal said justifying the police suspecting him.
Agarwal asserted that investigations have to led the police to believe that the timer devise fitted explosives were not planted at Chennai and the metropolis was not the target of the perpetrators of the crime.
Had the train maintained its schedule, it would have reached Andhra Pradesh by 7 AM, he said while noting the 90 minute delay in the arrival time.
He said the bombs must have most probably been placed at an earlier station in the train which departed Bangalore city on April 30 at about 11.30 pm.
Agarwal said the there were similarities in bombs used in Bangalore-Guwahati express and Patna, which also witnessed an explosion few months back.
Bombs exploded at Hunkar rally addressed by BJP leader Narendra Modi in Patna.
When asked whether Modi, who addressed rallies in Andhra Pradesh yesterday could be the target, Agarwal said, "there is no specific information about any target. We are in the process of investigation".
Agarwal appealed to people to provide information on the suspect to the CB-CID Control Room numbers -- 044-22502510, 044-22502500, 77086 54202.
He said the materials collected at the explosion site and in affected coaches has been sent to forensic analysis to identify the nature of explosive material used and the type of device.
Earlier in the day, the CB-CID deployed a team to Bangalore trailing new leads that emerged during the course of investigation and on the suspicion that the bomb could have been loaded into the train there prior to departure.
The bombs had been kept under seats close to the aisle and craters on the coach floor were found at the two spots.
The blast claimed the life of the 24-year-old techie and injured 14 others.
A National Security Guard team visited the blast site and collected materials for examination.
In another development, the Railways commenced its inquiry with its Safety Commissioner for Southern Circle S K Mittal visiting the hospital where injured were undergoing treatment and recorded their statements.
Our Keystone Cops are at it again! Exhibiting their cards to the terrorists instead of keeping them close to their chests. When will our police and intelligence agencies ever get professional?