The Centre has asked Assam government to immediately arrest those involved in ethnic clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims and seize illegal weapons by deploying enough forces, including Army, in the strife-torn areas.
Seeking to downplay the fresh spell of violence in the state which has claimed six lives so far, Union Home Secretary R K Singh termed this as "isolated incidents" and not a "flare up" as two of the cases were related to harvesting and another to extortion.
"We are very, very cautious. The DGP has assured the Centre that he will take stringent action on all these incidents. We will hunt down those involved. This is not a flare up. These are isolated incidents," he told reporters.
Singh said Assam DGP Jayanta Narayan Choudhury today visited violence-hit Kokrajhar and briefed him about the prevailing situation there.
He said around 6,500 personnel of paramilitary forces were deployed in the affected areas to maintain law and order and some more forces would be given soon on a request of the DGP.
Meanwhile, the Home Ministry has asked Assam government to be on high alert, deploy Army and seize illegal arms to put an end to the clashes between Bodos and immigrant Muslims.
The Home Ministry also asked the Defence Ministry to make available Army personnel whenever necessary to assist the civil administration in restoring normalcy.
The Army staged flag marches in Kokrajhar where indefinite curfew is in force.
"The Army and police are working around the clock to bring the situation under control and no untoward incident has been reported during the last 24 hours," Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters at a function in Nalbari district of Assam.
In its advisory, the Home Ministry said police, paramilitary and army personnel must be put on high alert and deployed in violence-hit areas to maintain peace.
State and Central intelligence agencies were asked to be more vigilant so that they get information in advance about possible trouble and alert law enforcement agencies in time.
The Home Ministry asked the state government to launch a special drive to seize illegal arms believed to be in possession of warring groups. It said the district administrations should be sensitised to requisition armed personnel without delay when there is an outbreak of violence.
Curfew was clamped in Kokrajhar town yesterday after one person was shot dead and a trader was injured in an attack by armed people, taking the toll to six since November 10.
Four BTAD and Dhubri districts were affected by violence between Bodos and minorities in July-August that left 90 people dead and more than 4.80 lakh homeless.