04 June 2007
bangladesh: the army chief
Phantom Of The Opera
Behind Lt Gen Moeen U. Ahmed's quiet anonymity lies steely resolve to put Bangladesh back on track
The Importance of being Lt
Gen Moeen U. Ahmed
- He's the man behind the caretaker government in Bangladesh. The emergency was imposed on his directions.
- Was unknown even in his country. Keeps away from the limelight, is a devoted family man, loves to play golf.
- Became army chief in June 2005. Commissioned in 1975.
- Important assignments: Commanded infantry brigades, served with UN forces in Rwanda, was military advisor in the Bangladesh high commission in Islamabad.
- Did courses in Harvard University and the Centre for Security Studies, Hawaii.
- His agenda: Stamp out corruption, introduce electoral reforms, check Islamists, accord due recognition to national leaders like Mujibur Rahman
- Seized luxury cars. They are to be auctioned for raising money to build a hospital for the poor.