Off the beaten track, these 40 questions try to test your knowledge on the legend and his legendary prowess with the willow.
- What connects Sachin Tendulkar to the following international cricketers: Damien Fleming (Australia), Douglas Marillier (Zimbabwe), Kumara Dharmasena (Sri Lanka), David Larter (England), Geoff Humpage (England), Margasahayam Venkataramana (India) and M.S.K. Prasad (India)?
- Exactly 68 years before Sachin was born (April 24, 1973), a cricketing legend made his first-class debut on that very day. Batting for Surrey against the Gentlemen of England at The Oval, he made 18 and 88, top-scoring in both innings. Who was the cricketer?
- Whose record did Sachin Tendulkar and Vinod Kambli break to set their erstwhile world record partnership of 664 runs on February 24, 1988?
- The most number of catches taken by fielder Sachin off a single batsman in international career is 9. Who is the batsman?
- Sachin has taken the most number of catches (34) in his international career off which Indian’s bowling?
- Which former cricketer, who died in a road accident, had the distinction of breaking Sachin’s record of being the youngest to score a century in a first-class game (15 years and 232 days)?
- In Sachin’s debut Test at Karachi on November 15, 1989, who won the Man of the Match award apart from bagging his 350th wicket?
- Which England bowler clean-bowled Sachin for 10 in the first innings of his first ever Test at Lord’s in 1990?
- In 1991, when he hit a smashing 159 against East Zone in his Duleep Trophy debut at Guwahati, which record did he set in domestic cricket?
- Playing his first-ever Asia Cup, at which ground did Sachin score 53 runs in the final against Sri Lanka in 1991?
- At which ground did Sachin score an overall 1,778 runs, the most number of ODI runs scored by the batting maestro at a single ground?
- Which batsman was adjudged hit wicket off Sachin’s bowling (the only time in the master blaster’s career) in the India versus Pakistan Test at Lahore on April 5, 2004?
- Sachin holds the record of winning the most man of the match awards in defeats in ODIs. Whose previous record of 5 man of the match awards for a losing cause did he surpass?
- Which batsman did Sachin dismiss the most number of times (8 occasions) as a bowler in his international career?
- On January 16, 1992, at which ground did Sachin score a match-winning 57 not out against the West Indies to guide India to the final of the Benson & Hedges World Series Cup 1991-92?
- In 2003-04, Sachin set the world record for most runs by a batsman between two dismissals by accumulating 497 runs (off 879 balls in 1224 minutes) in just four innings, comprising a double century, a century, a half-century and a single digit score. Whose 46-year-old record of 490 runs did Sachin surpass?
- Sachin scored his epic 100th century in the Asia Cup game against Bangladesh at the Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur, on March 16, 2012. He scored his historic 100th run off which bowler?
- Since 2004, a certain person from Muzaffarpur has been sending Sachin a thousand litchis every year. Who is the man?
- Which bowler, just a few months after dismissing Sachin Tendulkar in a World Cup game, became the first-ever sportsperson to play in both the cricket and the rugby World Cup when he came in as a fly-half in his country’s game against Romania?
- Which Irish schoolboy, born three years after Sachin began his international career, dismissed the batting maestro in his country’s 2011 World Cup game against India at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore?
- In the 2008-09 Ranji Trophy Super League final at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Uppal, in Hyderabad, which 18-year-old became the first bowler ever to dismiss Sachin for a duck in first-class cricket?
- In December 2012 at Nagpur, who dismissed Sachin for a record ninth time to become the first bowler ever to take Sachin’s wicket so many times in Tests?
- What was Surat-based builder Jayesh Desai’s claim to fame in 2011?
- In the first Test of the 1996 India versus England Test series at Edgbaston, Birmingham, which debutant bowler complained about Sachin’s bat being extra broad?
- Which chart-buster actor-singer paid his tribute to the batting legend by singing a song, composed by Anirudh Ravichander, in February 2012?
- In the third Test between India and New Zealand at Nagpur in 2010-11, Sachin became the first victim of a debut bowler in Test cricket for the 11th time, breaking the previous record held jointly by Colin Cowdrey and Herbert Sutcliffe with 10 each. Name the bowler that day.
- In the 1997 Sahara Cup, the then Indian skipper Sachin promoted which Indian batsman as an opener in his place as he was struggling with form?
- In the first game of the 1997-98 Champions Trophy at Sharjah, which debutant England bowler bamboozled Sachin for 91 as the little master was stumped by Alec Stewart while going for a big shot?
- In 1997, at which ground was a one-day international match called off for the first time in the game’s history after just three overs as Indian captain Sachin and his Sri Lankan counterpart Arjuna Ranatunga felt that the pitch was dangerous for the players to play on and told the match referee to call off the match?
- Who was the last ever bowler in the history of one-day international games to bag the scalp of the batting maestro?
- Which Pakistan batsman was Sachin’s last wicket in ODIs?
- There are four countries against whom Sachin has never scored a century despite playing against them. Which are the four teams?
- In the 2003 World Cup game against India at Paarl, which bowler took the prize scalp of Sachin, apart from bagging the Man of the Match award with a bowling figure of 4 for 35, and also became the first bowler from his country to get the batting legend’s wicket?
- Which three bowlers jointly hold the record of dismissing Sachin the most number of times in ODIs?
- Which two cricketers hold the record of dismissing Sachin as an outfield fielder in Tests the most number of times with four catches each?
- Who is the oldest bowler ever to dismiss Sachin in international cricket?
- Which are the only two Test match venues (city) in India where Sachin has never scored a Test ton?
- Who is the only wicket-keeper till date to have stumped Sachin in a Test match?
- Who is the only bowler to have clean-bowled Sachin in two consecutive innings in Tests till date?
- What connects Atul Kasbekar, S. Sreesanth, Hormazd Sorabjee, Yuvraj singh, Amitabh Bachchan, Narain Karthikeyan and Zaheer khan?
Click here to see the Answers
Compiled by Suvam Pal