The initiative for the Year of Compassion has been taken by the Karuna Foundation, a non-sectarian Buddhist organisation headed by Dr Kagyur Rinpoche. Set up in 1992 to further the Tibetan cause, the Foundation so far has been actively engaged in humanitarian work among the underprivileged in Delhi and other parts of the country. Forthcoming projects include an eye-care centre and Tibetan holistic centres in Delhi and Maharashtra. As part of the year-long celebrations, a fund-raising concert with popular Indipop stars will be held in Delhi on March 27.
The Foundation has taken great strides, more so due to the tireless efforts of Dr Rinpoche. Not many know that he was recognised by the Dalai Lama as the reincarnation of Kagyur Lama, who was reincarnated as the 13th Dalai Lama. Dr Rinpoche spent 20 years studying Buddhism at the Drepuling Monastery but renounced monkhood six years ago to marry actress Mandakini of Ram Teri Ganga Maili fame. The couple has a six-year-old son.
So what about her alleged links with underworld don Dawood Ibrahim? I always denied any connections with him, shrugs the actress. Says she: I help my husband in his work now and and go wherever he goes. One last nugget: The Rinpoche is none other than the famed Murphy Baby of the '60s Murphy radio ads who was rumoured to have died mysteriously. The truth is that he was studying furiously to achieve his elevated status of today. Actor Deepak Parashar, who was also present at the monastery as chief guest, spent his time cooking two dozen ginger eggs, four kg of lemon chicken and chana-pulao. No one turned up for the dinner though!
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT