Order by Previous days letters
D-67/33
Jul 26, 2014
12:37 PM

"That was the way Islam was interpreted, with both the ruler and the mullah being complicit for their selfish reasons. Separation of state and religion is as possible in Islam as it was in Christianity, but it won't be easy at this stage."....Anwaar

The great philosopher, Allama Iqbal, who probably knew more about Islam tham most, including Anwaar, is quoted as saying:

"If you begin with the conception of religion as complete other worldliness, then what has happened to Christianity in Europe is perfectly natural. The universal ethics of Jesus is displaced by national systems and ethics and polity. The conclusion to which Europe is consequently driven is that religion is a private affair of the individual, and has nothing to do with what is called man's temporal life.

Islam does not bifurcate the unity of man into an irreconcilable duality of spirit and matter. In Islam God and the universe, spirit and matter, church and state, are organic to each other. Man is not the citizen of a profane world to be renounced in the interest of a world of spirit situated elsewhere. To Islam matter is spirit realizing itself in space and time. Europe uncritically accepted the duality of spirit and matter probably from Mannichaean thought. Her best thinkers are realising this initial mistake today"

Sir Muhammad Iqbal was neither a ruler nor a mullah. He was an Islamic scholar and philosopher who was absolutely clear in his mind that there can be no separation of state and religion as far as Islam is concerned. He felt that Europe commited a huge mistake by separating politics from religion.

That is the precise reason why he demanded the creation of Pakistan, where Muslims of India could live in accordance with their faith and value systems.

D.L.Narayan
Visakhapatnam, India
D-66/1
Jul 26, 2014
12:34 PM

"Linguist Franson D. Manjali has written that the whole colonial elevation of Sanskrit, beginning with William Jones, was tied to Europe’s “Aryan” racial-supremacist project—India formed a necessary part of its imaginative grid. Alas, India is still trapped in that mental space."

You may be. No other Indian I know is.  I have not heard of this Franson bugger either.

AMIN DADA
AGRA, India
D-65/5
Jul 26, 2014
12:26 PM

Mr Modi is requested to make Vinod Mehta Minister of Loos as the later has many practical and valuable cum efficient ideas on changing the Age old shitting habits of the Indians.Kushwant Singh wrote after a ride in the early morning Train -a 250 kms Journey from Delhi to Chandigarh 'Rail lines act as the most effective purgatives for the Indians.'

ashok kumar ghai
Mumbai, India
D-64/1
Jul 26, 2014
12:25 PM


A walk like no other!
 

Anwaar
Dallas, United States
D-63/3
Jul 26, 2014
12:20 PM

Sania is as much a 'daughter in law of Pak' as Sonia is a 'daughter in law of India'.

Between Sania and Saina, all else being equal, Saina should accept the fact that she does not have the first claim on that honour.

KSJ, Bengaluru
D-62/4
Jul 26, 2014
12:19 PM

The same old rant. Yawn. Zzzzzzzzz.........

Narayan G N
Mumbai, India
D-61/16
Jul 26, 2014
12:17 PM

If Muslims are Muslim Hindus, Christians are Christian Hindus, then what are Hindus themselves?  Are they Hindus or Hindu Hindus?

AMIN DADA, AGRA
D-60/32
Jul 26, 2014
12:12 PM

"In Arabia, there was no concept of state in the seventh century. "

The Marxist view of the state was that it is an instrument of oppression of the working classes and in an egalitarian society the state would wither away. Seventh century Arabia, being the Islamic Utopia, obviously would not have had a state.

So, in the Marxist sense, Anwaar is right.

A more realistic and accurate description of the state was given by Max Weber, who defines the state as "a compulsory political organization with a centralized government that maintains a monopoly of the legitimate use of force within a certain territory."

1. Did 7th century Arabia have tribes which had territorial jurisdiction? YES.

2. Was it compulsory to adhere to its laws and values? YES.

3. Did that leadership structure have a monopoly on legitimate use of force (for punishing law breakers or defending the territory)? YES.

I had earlier pointed out that Medina had a constitution, which was drafted by the prophet himself, which served as a template for the Islamic Caliphate, which had all the attributes of a state like taxation, jurisprudence, army, legislative council (majlis-e-shoora) and bureaucracy.

The concept and the existence of a state was very much present in 7th century Arabia, even though its form was different from what it is today.

D.L.Narayan
Visakhapatnam, India
D-59/4
Jul 26, 2014
12:04 PM

Mr.Mehta,

The apoligists of Gandhi family like you are very sick minded. In this article to highlight the sanitation problem in our society, you take this opportunity to taunt Modi. You conveniently forget that the country was ruled by your dynasty for 50 years out of 60 years after independance and they did nothing to uplift the welfare of the Masses and lead us to the current state.. Now you are shedding tears blaming it on Modi.The schemes brought by your favorite jolnawalas, leftists and hailed by pseudo secularists like you are rejected not because they are pro poor, but these schemes, due to poor implementation under Indian conditions, created corruption and enriched politicients and their middlemen. If these shemes were effective congress would not have lost so misserably. While working for Bullet train and good roads and ifrastructue and better industrialization and employment creation, this government also focus on uplifting masses out of poverty, Their proposal to use Mahnrega for building toilets and other rural assets is one such case. I believe that Modi govt needed years to correct the present imbalances and only hope Modi achieve what he wants to and people like you who are old furnitures, are locked in warehouses

Krishna Moorthy
Chennai, India
D-58/3
Jul 26, 2014
11:56 AM

ARSHAD ALAM >> There is still no unambiguous condemnation nor has any leader of any standing at least said that what happened was clearly wrong.

Can You Name One Islamic Public Personality who has condemend the violence and ethnic cleansing of Christians who have been living in Iraq for millenia  by ISIS ? Ans is NONE

Can You Name One Islamic Public Personality who is condemning the way ISIS is planning to do genital mutiliation of all adult women in ISIS controlled iraq? Ans is NONE

Can You Name One Islamic Public personality who is demanding an immediate end to Islamic theocracy in West and South Asia, be it KSA or Pakistan ? Ans is NONE

Can you name one Islamic public personality who is demanding that KSA (Saudi Arabia) and other Gulf Nations stop plundering rest of world by demanding 110 $ FOR EVERY BARREL  of crude oil that they produce for less than 10$? Ans is NONE

Can you name one Islamic Public personality who is demanding that KingDom of Saudi Arabia be made a secular state and places of worship of Christians, Jews, Sikhs,  Hindus, Buddhists all be allowed to be built in Riyadh and Mecca ? Ans is NONE

Mr Arshad Alam, Secularism and Tolerance is a Two way street. If you are genuinely observant of the preachings of Islam as propagated by prophet, start this Eid, turn into a new leaf, participate in festivites of other faiths and start a movement to demand the complete secularisation of Saudi Arabia. We should have a multi faith worship place right in Mecca beside the mosques there and that will send the message that Islam is a tolerant faith.

Do all this first and then question the BJP about not condemning the act of SS MPs .

 
Ramki_Uncensored
Delhi, India
D-57/6
Jul 26, 2014
11:43 AM

Young lady,you made your choice.

But did you not know that you are a Public figure and the nature of things in India.

You should have known that things would get hostile given the relations with Pakistan and the 26/11 carnage.

Anyway having bitten the bullet,just move on.'

With every passing day,anything M is going to draw strong reactions and opinions,thats the reality.

Things will get worse before they get better.

harun, chennai
D-56/10
Jul 26, 2014
11:41 AM

By definition, ( not precedents set by the antimale Congie loons ), 'opposition leader' should be a JOB given to a person selected by the opposition parties put together.

Having said that, any law, that ignores the fact that the Congress has almost as many PERCENTAGE of votes as the ruling party, is an ass, of the Congie loons making.

For the vey fact that the arrogant and pompous Congie were disrespectful to the opposition in the past, ( besides the fact that we need a GOOD opposition,and not merely a feminit one ) the antimale Congress must not be given the 'title'.

Misogynist, Chennai
D-55/9
Jul 26, 2014
11:41 AM

By definition, ( not precedents set by the antimale Congie loons ), 'opposition leader' should be a JOB given to a person selected by the opposition parties put together.

Having said that, any law, that ignores the fact that the Congress has almost as many PERCENTAGE of votes as the ruling party, is an ass, of the Congie loons making.

For the vey fact that the arrogant and pompous Congie were disrespectful to the opposition in the past, ( besides the fact that we need a GOOD opposition,and not merely a feminit one ) the antimale Congress must not be given the 'title'.

Misogynist, Chennai
D-54/291
Jul 26, 2014
11:38 AM

WIN >> And this is why the Irfan Habibs and Harbans Mukhias and Romila Thapars etc need to be kicked out,

Hey why you left our dear elevator rapist Feudal fraud aka Tejjy Baba, he looks every bit like a evil White Man and his mannerisms and his club class habits makes him surely a Germanic Nazi, throw him out of India. Maybe india should have some penal colony in Antartica where such criminals can be despatched to enforce the rule of law and liberty in India.

 
Ramki_Uncensored
Delhi, India
D-53/290
Jul 26, 2014
11:35 AM

Krubakar >> The human body is just a biological machine, whether you are a swede or a nair, so as a human consumes more food without adequate exercise, the risk of these diseases increase. They do not have any implications on common ancestry

In United States of America, we have a well established ethnic groups by way of White (Europeans) and Black (Afro Americans) and a very tiny American Natives (previously named red indians) . The groups have 1) Clear difference in appearance, thus Bush and Obama are not looking alike 2) Difference in cultural habits and social markers thus Blacks show greater excellence in competitive sports vis a vis whites 3) Clear health indicator differences in that the biggest mortality indicators for black americans are different from white americans.

Come to India , if in India - Upper castes == aryans == Invading White race and Lower castes = dravidans = subjugated darkskinned black race, why dont we see the difference in all these aspects?

Upper castes in Bihar have poorer health indicators than a lower caste in Karnataka, how come?

We have lot of differences based on region and not caste (on health indicators).

AIT is a dangerous superstition like child sacrifice. If AIT is taught in schools then it is no different from teaching our children that sacrificing a child to bring rains is also right.

Stop AIT fiction now and save India.

 
Ramki_Uncensored
Delhi, India
D-52/3
Jul 26, 2014
11:30 AM

The lack of toilets is a matter of disgust to BOTH feminists and males. Just as it is to BOTH secus and pseudo secus like VM.

However, VM, the typical male hating journalist that he is, looks with sympathy ONLY towards women.

VM should wake up to reality: At least TEN TIMES as many males are subject to violence, as women are. And hyper reporting crimes only against women ( in this case while using a loo ), is biased and dehumanising males, and provoking further misandry, through false propaganda.

In a society with no justice like India, crimes can, and will, only go up - ESPECIALLY against the much hated male gender. Hyper reporting any crimes against feminists is biased, hateful reporting of the lowest order and unworthy of any illiterate journalist, or even one of VMs eminence
 

Misogynist
Chennai, India
D-51/14
Jul 26, 2014
11:27 AM

CAIR is an Islamofascist Group that is threat to human liberty and freedom:

http://www.libertynewsonline.com/article_301_35929.php

Ramki_Uncensored
Delhi, India
D-50/2
Jul 26, 2014
11:25 AM

No question that We need a massive sanitation revolution - But trust me this will never be possible if we are obsessed with Western Style centralised sewerage disposal systems with water intensive Western Toilets (that is the European Flush Closets) as the model. We need simpleer, cheaper and less costly to roll out options . And it will be a good idea to divert the money wasted in NREGA into aiding rural folks (in BIMARU States) to build toilets in thier homes.

Ramki_Uncensored
Delhi, India
D-49/8
Jul 26, 2014
10:37 AM

@ Bonita

"A lawyer who says what his client wants to hear rather tender correct legal advice is a bad lawyer"

Well said.  Sycophancy is the biggest enemy of excellence. 

D.L.Narayan
Visakhapatnam, India
D-48/15
Jul 26, 2014
10:13 AM

Mosque built where Durga Nagpal had razed wall - KADALPUR (GREATER NOIDA): A mosque has come exactly at the spot where young IAS officer Durga Sakthi Nagpal had gone with her men a year ago - on July 27, 2013 - to demolish a wall that had come up illegally on government land. That act had led to her suspension, ostensibly because she was inflaming communal passions in the month of Ramzan. 

A year on, work is almost complete on the new mosque that sits illegally on that land. All it needs are the finishing touches of plaster and paint. 

The district administration here claims it has no knowledge of this structure. Said Gautam Budh Nagar district magistrate AV Rajamauli, "I have no idea whether the mosque in Kadalpur village was developed with permission or not." 

Kadalpur falls under the Sadar division of Gautam Budh Nagar district. Bacchu Singh, sub-divisional magistrate (Sadar), said, "I believe the mosque was already developed in Kadalpur before my posting around 10 months back. But I will visit Kadalpur soon and check the facts." 

Durga, too, was the SDM of Sadar before she was suspended. Between February and July, she had launched a virtual war against the sand mafia. She along with the Noida police registered 66 FIRs, arrested 104 people and seized 81 vehicles in that period. 

This zeal, obviously, did not go down well with some. 

A tape surfaced where senior SP leader Narendra Bhati was heard bragging that he had managed to get Durga suspended in just 41 minutes. 

Though there was intense media glare on the issue, the Akhilesh Yadav government chargesheeted Durga on August 4. Her suspension was finally revoked on September 22, a day after she and her husband met Akhilesh Yadav. A few days later, she was posted as joint magistrate, Kanpur Rural, and then in March this year, was made chief development officer of Mathura. On July 12, she was cleared for central deputation, and is now awaiting her posting. 

And Greater Noida is back to where it was before Durga stepped on the accelerator. The mining mafia is active again. And the mosque has come up with no one in the administration having any idea whether it is legal or not. 

Hafiz Aas Mohammad, the cleric of the mosque, said, "We are all responsible citizens and live in harmony. There could have been communal tension after the demolition of the wall but all residents behaved responsibly. The residents only want development." 

Ironically, the mosque may not have come up had Durga not demolished the wall. Locals said they had been trying to build the mosque since 2008, but didn't have sufficient funds. But after the demolition, money poured in from various quarters, and the structure came up rapidly.   

Mohan, Adiipur
D-47/289
Jul 26, 2014
09:42 AM

"The very fact that Indians across caste and regional groups (be it a Punjabi Dalit or a Kerala Nair) are susceptible to diabetic and cardiac diseases in greater measure suggest a common ancestory."

I would not go so far. The human body is just a biological machine, whether you are a swede or a nair, so as a human consumes more food without adequate exercise, the risk of these diseases increase. They do not have any implications on common ancestry -- it is not like some subset of the human race is diabetes proof as a group.

Genetic studies are hard because the variations in genes and genetic material is mathematically so large as to preclude analysis.

The scientific american article is based on a larger logic that the original group of humans had the richest variation in stomach bacteria (as in african groups) while those that branched of and propagated within themselves, as in in-breeding, had a smaller variety of H.Pylorii. These studies are done to great detail to draw the conclusions that they did -- they are not hand-waving proclamantions like the marxist "linguist" losers like Romila thapar and her ilk, who fit the evidence (by discarding inconvenient parts) to fit their pet theories.

The new ICHR chief is arguing against such practices and wants all available evidence to be looked at, which is a good thing.

Krupakar Kolbatla
Mumbai/Pittsburgh, India
D-46/7
Jul 26, 2014
09:41 AM

"Attorney General represents the government's opinion. He articulates the government's viewpoint." - Congress General Secretary Shakeel Ahmed.

The A-G is the Govt's legal adviser. A lawyer who says what his client wants to hear rather tender correct legal advice is a bad lawyer. This is the problem with the Congress. They have got so used to the previous A-G Vahanvati tendering whatever legal advice the UPA wanted to hear that they think that all A-Gs are like that.

Bonita, Chennai
D-45/14
Jul 26, 2014
09:40 AM

"India is already a Hindu nation and will always remain so."

Well then nothing more needs to be done. Mission accomplished. 

Rajesh, Phoenix
D-44/6
Jul 26, 2014
09:11 AM

Let me add that if Anwaar believes that the Congress should name the Leader of the Opposition on the analogy of coalition govts, the correct position would be that it  should demonstrate support of 106 MPs, ie. half the opposition 212, and not 60. I'm sure if the opposition members were to elect their leader, Didi and Amma would have something to say.

Bonita, Chennai
D-43/5
Jul 26, 2014
09:07 AM

This is rubbish! If Vajpayee's NDA coalition and Manmohan Singh's UPA coalition could nominate them as PM's in spite of the fact that the BJP and the Congress did not have absolute majorities in the Lok Sabha, the UPA coalition now with 60 members should be able to appoint LoP. - Anwaar

Usual rubbish from the Sage of Dallas. The PM is the person who commands majority support in Parliament. There is no requirement that such support should be from one party, which is what coalitions are all about. The Leader of the Opposition Post is given to the person chosen by the SINGLE largest party in the opposition, provided it has a minimum of 10% of the seats. Both the rules and precedent support this.

It is not that Anwaar is so ignorant or stupid that he does not know this. He spouts this rubbish in the hope that some less informed individuals may fall for it.

Bonita, Chennai
D-42/4
Jul 26, 2014
08:27 AM

The post means very little in real terms. But Sonia desperately wants this post for the Congress to salvage at least a part of her wounded pride in being very badly mauled and humiliated in the last elctions. That apart, Congress is very unused to a situation where its supremacy and the word of its supremo is NOT meeekly and unquestioningly accepted as Law by all else and whatever it says is considered  as Gospel. Congress is still so arrogant and unashamed  that despite the ADMK, TMC and the BJD refusing even to sit next to it in the House, it is strutting around as if it has 400 seats!   The party can never accept the truth that it has been finally consigned to the dustbin and has lost all credibility.

N.S.Rajan, Bangalore
D-41/2
Jul 26, 2014
07:37 AM

>> Sania is a much better Indian than K Laxman

It is amusing to see that the scoundrels who want to climb on the shoulders of Sania to spread their hate, are completely impervious to the issues of gross injustice, and identity politics brought out by Laxman and other nationalists.

Laxman has highlighted not only the pernicious attitude of the sicko KCR govt, that has done gross injustice to a player like Saina, who is far more accomplished, and actually lives in Hyderabad, but a far more serious issue of the govt blatantly discriminating against the kids.

I guess none of this matters to the jehadis. As long as a Muslim gets "first claim", they are happy. If they can also spread some hate against BJP in the process, it's double bonus for them.

Whats InAName
San Francisco, United States
D-40/2
Jul 26, 2014
07:30 AM


>> "It is this failure to roundly condemn such an outrage that leads one to question their intentions. Drunk on immunity which successive and different governments have given them in Maharashtra, a generation of Sena leaders have made their career out of anti Muslim hatred."

Anti-Muslim hatred unites the Shiv Sena with the BJP. They can never rise higher than that!
 

Anwaar
Dallas, United States
D-39/92
Jul 26, 2014
06:59 AM


ROTTEN COMPANY - What the Shiv Sena tells us about the BJP

MUKUL KESAVAN

When the story broke, the Shiv Sena’s reaction was to flatly deny that such an incident had occurred....The Shiv Sena is what it is, a party that makes a political living out of bigotry and brazenness and violence. The parliamentary ‘debate’ on the incident gave us an insight into how the Bharatiya Janata Party, as the principal party of government, is likely to deal with the thuggery of its Hindutvavadi allies.

Shouldn’t the fact that a gang of allied MPs publicly intimidated and humiliated an employee in a government institution like the Maharashtra Sadan for the benefit of television cameras be enough for the BJP, the principal party of government, to condemn their conduct?

Ramesh Bidhuri is a BJP MP who represents South Delhi. During the zero hour debate in the Lok Sabha, he charged into the well of the House, bent on a confrontation with Asaduddin Owaisi, yelling that “this is Hindustan, not Pakistan”, and allegedly saying other things so vile that he embarrassed his own party members into restraining him.

The fact of the matter is that Bidhuri’s libel — that Muslims are fifth columnists, Pakistanis in mufti —is part of the stock-in-trade of Sangh Parivar politics. Muslim ghettoes in Gujarat are routinely called ‘Pakistan’.

The prime minister, naturally, said nothing.

www.telegraphindia.com/1140725/jsp/opinion/story_18648844.jsp#.U9MAcTwg8qQ











 

Anwaar, Dallas
D-38/26
Jul 26, 2014
05:28 AM

>> The only good about this article is that it is short

Another good thing is, that like most articles in OL, I didn't waste my time reading it.

Whats InAName
San Francisco, United States
D-37/1
Jul 26, 2014
05:11 AM

"Having made Muslims largely irrelevant to their electoral future, the BJP still has a choice:.."

In a place like India where there is no coherent, unified majority, no one can make Muslims irrelevant. Rather they have made themselves irrelevant by following imams and mullahs like sheep, taking on fake Arab names and aping Arabs, and voting for political parties that pander to them such as the Congress party and TMC.

Join the 21st century and you will be as relevant as any other community. This means rejecting wahabbi excretions, educating your sons and your daughters in real schools instead of sending your sons to madrassas and your daughters to get married at a young age, rejecting violence as a way of solving problems, and focusing on being good Indians first and Muslims next.

And yes, you need to stop making mountains out of molehills. The Sena fellow should be reprimanded for his behaviour regardless of whether the victim was Hindu or Muslim. But in a world where your coreligionists feel free to enslave and rape non-Muslim women (Nigeria, Pakistan), ethnically cleanse non-Muslims (Syria,Iraq, Pakistan, Kashmir) and in general treat non-Muslims like crap without much protest from Muslims like you, you cannot really expect us to get worked up about some fellow who had a roti thrust in his mouth. There are far worse evils being perpetrated in the world and in India in the name of your religion. Go fix them instead of trying to stoke communal fires over a minor matter.

Ram Lala
Kavutaram, India
D-36/31
Jul 26, 2014
04:53 AM

Senor Quixote, Thank you for your candor. I don't know and don't care what your religion or sect or whatever is - you strike me as a honest man, which is more than I can say for the CAIR weasel.

Ram Lala
Kavutaram, India
D-35/1
Jul 26, 2014
04:32 AM

Now the real story comes out.  Why Hindus should not hate such sickular media?  They twist and turn everything around. 

P.B. Joshipura, Suffolk, Virginia
D-34/1
Jul 26, 2014
04:31 AM

Politics of greed and jealousy

Misogynist, Chennai
D-33/1
Jul 26, 2014
04:28 AM

(To use David Ruskales language )

"The feminists tongue must be chopped off".

Misogynist, Chennai
D-32/6
Jul 26, 2014
04:25 AM

Side effects?  Many Anwaars of Gujarat will go to their own religious schools and enlighten themselves instead of reading Batra's books. 

P.B. Joshipura, Suffolk, Virginia
D-31/9
Jul 26, 2014
04:18 AM

4 D Anwaar

"....especially women...."

Only a certified moron like you, can justify MGM, which is practiced on a much larger scale.

Misogynist, Chennai
D-30/8
Jul 26, 2014
04:12 AM

FGM must be revolted against in the SAME measure as revolting against MGM.

The media is hugely biased in misinforming the public about even the existence of one, while exaggerating the other, for the benefit of undeserved sympathy.

Misogynist, Chennai
D-29/1
Jul 26, 2014
04:10 AM

Azam Khan is not a man of repute. He is not known for his integrity.

george, london
D-28/1
Jul 26, 2014
04:08 AM

Addressing a gathering of the Indian Jewish Association in London, he said that Jews have lived in India over 2,000 years and have never been discriminated against.

"This is something unparalleled in Jewish history."

Whenevr and wherever people have been discriminated or persecuted. they went to India, and Indians sheltered them all. Zorostarians from Iran, christians from Syria, and Armenia, and Jews from many other copuntries found refuge in india. They settled there and prospered. 

The ambassador is right, and we Indians are proud of this.

george, london
D-27/1
Jul 26, 2014
04:03 AM

The lack of toilets is a matter of disgust to BOTH feminists and males. Just as it is to BOTH secus and pseudo secus like VM.

However, VM, the typical male hating journalist that he is, looks with sympathy ONLY towards women.

VM should wake up to reality: At least TEN TIMES as many males are subject to violence, as women are. And hyper reporting crimes only against women ( in this case while using a loo ), is biased and dehumanising males, and provoking further misandry, through false propaganda.

In a society with no justice like India, crimes can, and will, only go up - ESPECIALLY against the much hated male gender. Hyper reporting any crimes against feminists is biased, hateful reporting of the lowest order and unworthy of any illiterate journalist, or even one of VMs eminence

Misogynist
Chennai, India
D-26/13
Jul 26, 2014
03:56 AM

India and Hindu are both corruption of the word Sindhu. If former denotes nationality then the latter also denotes the same. In case if we are not Hindus in religion then we are Sanatan Dharmis, Pagans, Heathens or even Animists. 

For Jews, it is Moses, Christians - Jesus, Muslims -  Muhammad, Buddhists - Buddha, Jains - Mahavira, Siikhs - Guru Nanak..

Indians have religion and nationality intertwined. It is an unchartered territory. If all people of India are Hindus, then Hindu is not a religion. One can call it a way of life but there is no one way as well

Don Quixote, Rody
D-25/7
Jul 26, 2014
03:47 AM

Anwaar, you are right. Bohra Muslims in India do this. These people, otherwise, are rich, and highly educated people. It should be stopped. It is inhuman, and barbaric. Religion should serve man, and it should never be the other way. No human being should be subjugated to unnecessary pain just because of some religious diktat.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/sijo-k-jose/uproar-over-female-genital-mutilation-bohra-muslim-woman-activist-launches-campa/329191643829952

george, london
D-24/6
Jul 26, 2014
03:39 AM

''On the other hand Sunnat-cuting a small foreskin of the male organ is a very important Biological necessity in the Sandy areas. When one passes urine in a sandy area extremely fine particles of sand fly and stick in the inner side of the fore skin if Sunnat is not done. They sand so deposited on the soft skin causes severe itching and subsequently damage to skin if not washed immediately after the urine is passed. Not possible due water shortage . Old wise men hence made Sunnat compulsory.'' Ashok from Mumbai

This confirms my belief that religion was started by men. The rituals depend on the customs and the climate of that place. Arab lands are very hot in the summer. So they wanted to wash their hands and feet before praying as the water makes them cool and comfortable. They are in short of water. Hence they made it a rule for both men and women to shave their pubic hair as sweat wouild make that place smelly and also uncomfortable. But people in other places , where there is no shortage of water, and there is no desert, took those practices as a must because they believed those rituals are part of Islam. It is not. What is OK in hot climate is not essential in cold countries, or where there are plenty of water. 

george, london
D-23/5
Jul 26, 2014
03:32 AM

A large number of girls, in thousands, do FGM every year in UK. The parents take the girls to their home countries in the pretext of holidays , and then they do that. UK parl;iament has passed a bill saying they will hold the parents responsible for this crime. Mostly Somalis, and African Muslims do this ritual on their daughters. And in the process, Islam gets a bad name. Sad. It is a cultural ritual. It has nothing to do with religion.

george, london
D-22/12
Jul 26, 2014
03:27 AM

All the people living in India are converts few generations back. their forefathers were all Hindus. That is what the Goa minister meant when he said he is a christian hindu. 

george, london
D-21/30
Jul 26, 2014
03:05 AM

 In addition, i think it is now a Jew/ Muslim conflict than an Israeli/ Palestinian conflict. Hamas bases it charter on islamic ideals of Jihad. It was different some years back when it was a Israeli / Palestinian conflict. Sirhan/ Sirhan  was afterall, a christian by religion.

A Jew- Muslim conflict helps both the sides in their own ways. 

Don Quixote
Rody, India
D-20/29
Jul 26, 2014
02:58 AM

 @Anwaar 

"Romans were the supreme, though alien, rulers in Palestine so such a command would seem natural"

Whatever be the circumstances, Christianity clearly asks for a separation between church and state while Islam doesn't. We can't edit anything now. 

"In Arabia, there was no concept of state in the seventh century. "

States and nationalism is an ever present phenomena. Caliphate is a Muslim nation. 

"The two principles that were emphasized in Islam as far as governance is concerned are "consultation" and "consensus"."

This is the reason of the schism. Ali's followers claimed that consulation was among a few and so was the consensus, This is the reason that they reject Abu Bakr and even the rest two as caliphs.

"Moreover, what the Muslims often forget, the Christian and Jewish Bibles are holy books for Muslims too."

Muslims argue that Quran is the final word of God. I think if Muslims start following Torah and new testament, they will not remain muslims, Anyway, in Islam, the leader after prophet is a caliph who is the head of spiritual and temporal domains. 

My point is that Muslims, till they remain Muslims can never accept democracy and liberalism.

"These are not the essence of Islam. Fiqh and rituals even among various Sunni sects and Shia sects can different"

The same could be said about Protestant/ Catholic dispute and 30 years war. However, the war was as religious as it could get. The end of the war started the complete separation of church and state. As Mark 12:17 is part of christianity, the separation was easier after peace of westaphilia  but in islam, the end of caliphate in Turkey didn't create a separation of mosque and state. In fact, except Turkey, no Muslims state in Arab/ Persian and Turkish world has accepted democracy with open arms. 

To claim that the Shia Sunni battle is not a religious one, well, it is true to some extent. However, the better word would be sectarian. Since all the abrahamic religions believe in the same god, it does make Jew/ Palestinian conflict sectarian too. Nevertheless, you can call it religious or sectarian as you may chose , it can never be about land only.

Don Quixote
Rody, India
D-19/5
Jul 26, 2014
02:09 AM

???? ????? ?? NDTV ?? ??????? ???? ?? ?????? ??????
?? ???? ?? ??? ?? ???? ???? ? ???, ????? ??? ?? ???? ?????????? ?? ???? ??? ????? ??? ?? ???? ?????? ???? ????????????? ???? ???? ???? ?????????? ??? ??????? ???? ???? ?? ????? ?? ??? ????? ??????? ?? ???? ??????? (?????? ??? ???? ?????? ?????? ?????????) ?? ???????? ???? ?? ??? ??? ???????
I have no time for such full of themselves deeply prejudiced and condescending "journalists".

Pradip Singh, STAFFORD
D-18/28
Jul 26, 2014
01:55 AM

> In the 1,300 years that Islam has graced this earth, have Muslims ever waged a religious war on another community? Ram Lala

>> Name one and I shall try to find an answer. CAIR weasel

This is worth noting - the CAIR weasel cannot think of a single religious war that Muslims have waged on another community.

It is very comforting to know that when the CAIR weasel's jihadi comrades destroyed Hindu, Buddhist and Jain temples all over India (the Somnath temple no fewer than 6 times), built mosques on top of the rubble, and put uncounted numbers of "idolaters and infidels" to the sword in India over the past 1,300 years, there was nothing religious about their bestial hate - it was just a political disagreement! You say "tomato", I say "tomaato".

>>Is there a single atrocity or barbarism committed by Muslims in the past 1,300 years that can be blamed on Islam? Ram Lala

>They can be blamed on the perpetrators just as all atrocities and barbarisms should be.

So the genocidal hatred unleashed by Nazis during WW II should be blamed only on individual Nazis - it would be unfair to blame this on the poisonous ideology of Nazism and the Jew hatred in their holy text, Mein Kampf?

Why then do you fulminate against "Hindutva" and the RSS on this form? The logic of your moronic argument should compel you to say that while individual Hindus can be blamed for attacking Muslims, Hindutva and the RSS cannot be blamed.

Or do you believe there is one set of rules for Islam and Muslims, and another set of rules for kaffirs?

Ram Lala
Kavutaram, India
D-17/5
Jul 26, 2014
01:37 AM

4 D George,

But actually, the pus*y whipped ba**** deserves to spend his retirement in jail for allowing corruption to flourish and thrive.

The Indian judiciary is a FARCE, and people like Maun Mute Singh are directly responsible for making it that way.

Misogynist, Chennai
D-16/5
Jul 26, 2014
01:36 AM

We need to stop acting like Pakistanis. Regardless of whom she married, Sania is as much an Indian as Modi or the Shankaracharya of Puri.

Do us proud as ambassador, Sania, as you have done in the past in sports.

Ram Lala, Kavutaram
D-15/11
Jul 26, 2014
01:03 AM

Haha!

Soon, the Hindus will be fooled into thinking that christians are actually Hindus! With a lot of medieval religionist conversions going on, soon christian and Hindu will become indistingushable.

Misogynist, Chennai
D-14/4
Jul 26, 2014
01:03 AM

Batra is preferable any day to the army of Hindu haters masquerading as academics.

Pradip Singh, STAFFORD
D-13/27
Jul 26, 2014
01:01 AM

D.L.Narayan,

Please see #23 and #26.

 

Anwaar
Dallas, United States
D-12/5
Jul 26, 2014
01:00 AM

2 D

If it were a GIRL, then the media would have praised the girl ( and even feminism and womenhood in general ) to the skies.

But since it was a BOY, he is guilty ( as usual )!

Even any credit due to him indirectly, goes to his convent school, but certainly he is not deserving, somehow (of course, we know this is because he belongs to the sh*tty gender!

Typical anti male reporting.

Misogynist, Chennai
D-11/5
Jul 26, 2014
01:00 AM

2 D

If it were a GIRL, then the media would have praised the girl ( and even feminism and womenhood in general ) to the skies.

But since it was a BOY, he is guilty ( as usual )!

Even any credit due to him indirectly, goes to his convent school, but certainly he is not deserving, somehow (of course, we know this is because he belongs to the sh*tty gender!

Typical anti male reporting.

Misogynist, Chennai
D-10/26
Jul 26, 2014
12:57 AM

 
Don Quixote,

>> In Christianity, there is a Jesus' command - “Render unto Caesar what are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's” (Mark 12:17). No such verse or even closer is existent in Islam.

Romans were the supreme, though alien, rulers in Palestine so such a command would seem natural. In Arabia, there was no concept of state in the seventh century. The two principles that were emphasized in Islam as far as governance is concerned are "consultation" and "consensus". Moreover, what the Muslims often forget, the Christian and Jewish Bibles are holy books for Muslims too.

>> they are different in matters of fiqh and rituals.

These are not the essence of Islam. Fiqh and rituals even among various Sunni sects and Shia sects can differ.

Anwaar
Dallas, United States
D-9/25
Jul 26, 2014
12:52 AM

"You had no answer to my simple comment that the Shia-Sunni conflict is not a religious conflict. "

In Islamic societies, religion is supreme and politics is the handmaiden of religion. The two are inextricably intertwined.

The Shia-Sunni schism is well documented. After the Prophet died, there was a power struggle between the companions and the descendents (Ahl-ul-Bayt) which resulted in the great divide. 

What started as a power struggle culminated in the division into two main sects, the Sunnis, the followers of elected caliphs and Shias, the followers of Ali, the prophet's cousin and son-in-law, and his sons. The two sects have a lot of overlap in their religious beliefs but there are serious theological differences too, like the Shia reverence for the Imams, which is rejected by Sunnis. Some of the hadeeths accepted by Sunnis are rejected by Shias and vice versa.

A highly educated and knowledgeable Shia told me that after the prophet, there was not much theological work done by the Sunnis but the Iranians had a better tradition of scholarship than the Arabs. He claimed that most of the theological work was done by them and their interpretation was less fundamentalist than the Sunnis because of the importance given to ijtihad or reasoning for interpreting the scriptures.

Today the animosities run deep and can be seen in not only in Bahrain and Iraq but also in Pakistan where a militant group called Laskar e Jhangvi has the sole mission of completely wiping out the Shia minority.

Political differences can be resolved. When the differences are of a religious nature, they become intractable and irreconciliable.

D.L.Narayan
Visakhapatnam, India
D-8/24
Jul 26, 2014
12:36 AM

@ Anwaar

In Christianity, there is a Jesus' command - “Render unto Caesar what are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's” (Mark 12:17). No such verse or even closer is existent in Islam. Prof. Huntington ( I know your distate for the man) had this to say on this topic
 

Throughout Western history first the Church and then many churches existed apart from the
state. God
and Caesar, church and state, spiritual authority and temporal authority, have been a prevailing
dualism in
Western culture. Only in Hindu civilization were religion and politics also so distinctly separated.
In Islam,
God is Caesar; in China and Japan, Caesar is God; in Orthodoxy, God is Caesar’s junior partner.

 
This at best explains why democracy has in general failed in Islam and China. Japan is a different case as one of the ww2 surrender treaty forced Japanese emperor to renounce his divinity. Orthodoxy after the rule of communism and growing atheism has become weaker and this is why sham democracies are there in most of the orthodox dominated nations. If Islam has to accept democracy, the people have to become lesser religious and more atheistic. It doesn't look to happen in forseeable future. 
 
 
<<How can it be religious when there is no religious disagreement and both Sunni and Shia clerics insist that the issue is political only.>>
 
The political schism in Islam now has religious overtones. I agree that both shias and sunnis follow the 5 pillars of Islam, however, they are different in matters of fiqh and rituals. The self flaggelation, the temporary marriage, the denunciation of 3 rightly guided caliphs, different mosques etc. all these have turned shias and sunnis into two distinct religious groups coming out from same religion. On a wider note, D L Narayan's point that all semitic religions are similar holds true. However, the differences between Shias and Sunnis was best exemplified in Iraq where ISIS members would look into names, ask people how they pray and ask basic question of Sunni  Islam to find out the Shias. 
 
 
 
 
 
Don Quixote
Rody, India
D-7/4
Jul 26, 2014
12:33 AM


As if it matters to Clinton!
 

Anwaar, Dallas
D-6/10
Jul 26, 2014
12:28 AM


George,

>> "Anwaar and Zakir Naik"

Only a malicious maligner or an idiot would put my name with that name. 
 

Anwaar, Dallas
D-5/14
Jul 26, 2014
12:12 AM


Mohan,

>> "Nadvi has written a long and passionate letter (in Arabic!) to the Saudi government offering to raise a militia of 500,000 Sunni Muslim Indian youth as his contribution to a "powerful global Islamic army"."

Nadvi may have violated several Indian laws. He should be prosecuted and put in prison. Or, better still, in a mental hospital.

Anwaar, Dallas
D-4/1
Jul 26, 2014
12:10 AM

"It was on the issue of inflation and corruption on which this government came to power...It is their responsibility to control prices", Gandhi told reporters here.....

Subramaniam Swamy has started the proceedings. He is taking Rahul gandhi to court. BJP has started war against corruption, but more so against the Gandhi family. If BJP can destroy the dynasty, rest assured , there will be no Congress for another fifty years. 

As far as the price rise, well it was happening in the last ten years and congis did nothing. BJP has started some steps and let us wait and see.

george, london
D-3/3
Jul 26, 2014
12:06 AM

I feel sorry for Anwaar. A party must have on its own ten percent of the seats. Pappu does not have that. End of story. And anyway, this man knows nothing. What will he talk? And for her mum, unless someone writes the speech for her, she is clueless. This mum and son duo are only interested how to be richer whatever means it takes. They are the last person to worry about india and its millions. 

george, london
D-2/23
Jul 26, 2014
12:01 AM

 
Don Quixote,

>> " In Islam, there is no dualism".

That was the way Islam was interpreted, with both the ruler and the mullah being complicit for their selfish reasons. Separation of state and religion is as possible in Islam as it was in Christianity, but it won't be easy at this stage.

>> "The succession of Muhammad would look more political than religious affair but it is as religious as political."

How can it be religious when there is no religious disagreement and both Sunni and Shia clerics insist that the issue is political only.

Anwaar
Dallas, United States
D-1/4
Jul 26, 2014
12:01 AM

The ex PM had given us enough trouble. Let him retire and spend time with his grand children. An honest man who has turned greedy for the chair so much so that he looked at the other way at every corruption scandal.

george, london