Guha Sundar Sarma are right. They have particular credibility because they have moved a petition in the Supreme Court and won important orders; and Sarma had a distinguished career in public service and stood up to the predatory Indian firm Reliance.
It is worth mentioning here that the world view of the Maoists glorifies the shedding of blood in a manner not dissimilar to fascist ideologies. But I have stayed in the Dandakaranya more than thirty years ago, and seen the growing exploitation that preceded the growth of Maoist authority in the region. So I suspect that the credibility of the Maoists has arisen as a direct consequence of the failure of the state to protect the people. So admirable though Mr Menon surely is, given that Government hands over such large territories to Essar Vedanta JK Posco and others, the acts of humane individual officials may not compensate for significant policies of the state.
I too join the call but will Ramachandra Guha call for the release of all innocent Muslim prisoners who have been incarcerated at the behest of RSS by the police intelligence and sometimes judiciary?Also to launch a probe in how this machinations work in these agencies and bring them justice to prevent this happening again.Take a stand Mr Guha!
The Maoists are fascist thugs and they should be tackeld head on just as Gill did with the khalistanis.
This should be treated as a show of their determination which emerges from their acute helplessness and unrestrained exploitation along with apathy of authorities for development. I have little doubt, every dalit and tribal who form the majority of the foot soldiers of Maoists has a Maoist within him as each has a painful story of humiliation, deprivation and exploitation to tell the world. There is neither sympathetic ears to hear and compassionate heart to redress their grievances. They have no way of being heard. The Indians in every sphere and position are too preoccupied with their self-service at public cost.' Bisawas
This is pure thrash and absurd.
Maoists exactly ensure that no development takes place in the belt under their control.Otherwise why burn schools or abduct those officers who fearlessly and selflessly carry on the development programs ? Menon is sick still he fearlessly goes in the night for the aid of the Adivasis.Still he was abducted.
And why kill two lowly paid Guards ?
Maoists never harm the Multinationals who handsomely pay the hafta to the Moaists .These so called wagabonds are posing like Robinhoods are no more than the Ransom collectors.
" demonstrated their strength ?
Damn these ruffians can be liquidated within months if the Govt has the will and moral character to eradicate this Chinese stooges .These looters flourish under any weak Govt .
Mamta was ga ga with them when in opposition but the day she became CM within a week she started calling the Maoists as dacoits.
With Jhina Hikaka, MLA already released, I too join to appeal to the kidnappers to release the IAS officer Alex paul Menon, who is collector of Sukma district. They have made their intention widely known and demonstrated with strength as well. This should be treated as a show of their determination which emerges from their acute helplessness and unrestrained exploitation along with apathy of authorities for development. I have little doubt, every dalit and tribal who form the majority of the foot soldiers of Maoists has a Maoist within him as each has a painful story of humiliation, deprivation and exploitation to tell the world. There is neither sympathetic ears to hear and compassionate heart to redress their grievances. They have no way of being heard. The Indians in every sphere and position are too preoccupied with their self-service at public cost.
The other day the Patna High Court has acquitted 23 Ranveer Sena men who were convicted for murdering 21 dalit and minorities who included women and children too. This is injustice---miscarriage of justice. Strangely nobody has raised voices against this partisan, perverse and unreasonable order of the High Court. Home Minister Chidarambaram asked why there was no outcry while Jessica Lall has been given justice under outcry of the civil society, which strangely is totally negligent.
Civil Society is a shapeless body of few educated people to defend and safeguard interests of the upper social strata (read caste). We wait to see them come out for the masses.
Enough is enough. These scums are vermins and need to be exterminated with the help of Army. You can never bring them back to senses. They are worse than '' 'Dakus"' who had surrenenderd before JP and others. They are making money, exploting the tribals for whose right they are supposed to fight and striking a deal with corrupt bureaucrats, selfish businessmen/industrialists and parasite politicians to enrich themselves. They treat tribals like animals.Both the central and state governments would do better to remember the wonderful work done by Sir W.H. Sleeman in getting rid of killer Thugs.These maoists are modern thugs and need to be eliminated . Sooner the better.
"If the Maoists care for the tribals and if they have any respect for human rights, they should release both Alex Paul Menon and Jhina Hikaka immediately and unconditionally."
I believe all of us agree with that.
I don't condemn the Maoists/Naxals. On the contrary, I sympathise with them. I have only one complaint against them: they have discredired leftism in India. Leftism means nothing more than liberal views in a country that has suffered superstition, slavery and non-governance now. Leftism is needed in India to ensure equitable distribution of all the means of production and incomes; equal and honest opportunities for every one. But it is not the irrelevant Maoism/Naxalism, but Gandhism. These misguided elements, whose imagination was fired in the decade of the 60s at a historical time have become outdated, outmoded and expired. They have been deliberately kept out of the main stream of socio-political tsunami affecting India. India of today is not the India of the 1960s, exactly as China of 1960s is not the China of 2012. Moreover, even the communist movement in India is not what it then was. Sine it is difficult for the left leadership to disband themselves they continue to swear by the left rhetoric even while they enjoy the capitalist pleasures of the flesh free of cost and even without earning by their own labour.The activities of the naxals help them divert public attention from their own failures to the doings of the Naxalites. DISBAND YOURSELF, MY FRIENDS. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ACHIEVE ANYTHING BY ABDUCTING OFFICERS.You will prove your worth if you help establish a clean and transparent government. You don't even know what has been done to your great nation. You will take centuries to restore the glory, prosperity and happiness that distinguished India from most countries of the world. You are not criminals- you have been made criminals, like thousands of such cases of framing the innocents every month. PLEASE SEE THE REALITY AND RELEASE AT ONCE ALL THE ABDUCTED PERSONNEL. yOU DON'T NEED SWAMIS AND BABAS TO LEAD YOU; INSTEAD THE NATION NEEDS ASTUTE POLITICAL LEADERSHIP. CAN YOU, NAXALS, TAKE THIS CHALLENGE?
These criminals are "Gandhians with guns". That absolves them of any responsibility for their actions.
One can understand the feelings of the personalities who have issued the statement. Of late the Maoists have resorted to more and more violent attacks and also used other coercive methods to increase their areas of influence. Many concerned citizens are eager to know the short term and long term steps which the State and Central governments have to take to bring the Maoists to the negotiation table. Citizens also want to know whether they (Maoists) are really interested in arriving at any solution to end violence. Obviously there may be many groups among Maoists and some of them are reported to be having a strong belief in overthrowing the existing governments. In such a situation, is dialogue possible and with whom?
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT