Once again, Mr Mehta writes about his colossal blunder vis-a-vis Y.B. Chavan in ’89 (Delhi Diary, Apr 30), his third confession in as many months.
Sharadchandra Panse, Pune
The beauty of Mr Mehta’s diary entry, I, The Misled, lies in its subtlety. Message delivered without once naming the addressee. Impeccable.
Barun Das Gupta, Calcutta
The new editor-in-chief of OUTLOOK should have had Vinod Mehta explain why he kept the name of Escorts out of his Nithari 'coverage'.
I had told you the story was a hoax but you hardly heeded anyone. Sorry for your loss.
With their continuous and motivated tirade against Narendra Modi and Gujarat Riots of 2002.its trumpetting of Sonia,Priyanka and Rahul gandhis an dven robert Vadera in the latest UP Assembly Polls and other Previous Assembly Elections to various states English Media has lost much of its credibility.So what iEnglish Media is writing about Mamata Banarjee is not being taken note of by the people.of the country.
Roshan Sheth is somewhat of obscure actor & therefore a realist. He don't have Outlook as his weapon of mass destruction. He knew Allahabad Boy is would not sell.
The british MP was a dud. He should have taken measurements right inside the house, no mquestions asked.
Its a cut & paste job , Mr. Mehta . Not a cartoon . Any body can cut three faces & the railway logo from dirty old news papers & write a insuniation about mulcting it. You call it a cartoon ? Why insult your late freind MJario Miranda ?
A communist , a catholic , a confedential agent , the comedian , our man in Havana, Graham Greene is many thing to many a men. Mario Miranda found him praying in the Bom Jesus Basillica . That must have been his Catholic hallucination after a doze of Vodoo in Papa Doc's Port Au Prince . He must have trying to get in to the heart of the matter with the help dozen glasses of feni.
Vinod Mehta thinks that was only time when he 'was duped and misled by mischief-makers who persuaded' him 'to believe that the RAW letter was the gospel truth'. For all he knows, he may still being misled & persuaded to believe that gospel from Mt. Manmohan is not a damp squib.
'' I believe it is the biggest blunder I have committed in my journalistic career.''
Surely not,Sir. Bigger blunder has been to carry on your infantile writings,babble and all, and name dropping.
Graham Greene when he promoted RK Narayan or otherwise was probably paternalistic to Indians in the best traditions of European Colonialism - carrying the white man's burden. Ironically, it was literally and metaphorically the colonized world that carried the white mans burden - many still do.
VM is forgiven for thinking that any politician - Morarji, Chavan ( or even Indira for that matter ), could be bribed by any foreign country. They are all political birds made of the same Indian feather. With a dead judiciary, none of them need to fear anything.
This is the unfortunate truth, and whether Morarji, Chavan or Indira, VM was probably not way off the mark, anyway.
Mr Mehta, you articles seemed to have outlived their utility to the magazine. Its high time you become a film critic again. Why not start with " Vicky donor"? Its Punjabi and a delhiite to the core.
Wasted money on Lucknow Boy if you are going to churn out the memoirs in magazine articles adding a little spice.
If you cannot wrote interesting stories, please donot serve this kind of junk food to readers. I think you are too old now loss your originality.Vinod, enough is enough
The catholics have more or less destroyed all Local Cultures in Americas (esp Latin Americas), or wherever they went. Even in Goa! So Greene, probably believing in "what goes around comes around" - was worried about the Magnificient Churches in India. The only mistake Greene made was he equated the Hindus to Catholics!
Except for one dastardly felling of Babri Masjid, Hindus in last 1500 years were never involved in destroying religious places! A matter of pride!
Shekhar Gupta's story in IE does not warrant resignation as the story never talked of a coup.
By the way, I hope Vinod will apologise if Modi is found innocent by the courts. A BIG if, I may add!
wow, what a confession, Every person makes mistakes in life, but the one who confess, never repreat again....
Not so covertly VM is asking Sekhar Gupta to resign, from every tv studio an now this column.
It is his innocence or he is just being plain ostrich, Sekhar didn't seems to get the message.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT