"Written by the leftists, the School History is dominated by descriptions of Bengali personalities so much so that it left an impression in me in the school days that Bengal must be a great state to make emerge such personalities as described in our books " - Not sure what do you mean by the phrase 'written by the leftists', Bengal is still a place of people where you will find great personalities but in specific areas. You will not find a a great Bengali industrialist or an entrepreneur in last 100 years of their history. Bengalees are not good at few things and excellent in few others like every other community. Business is not their forte , they are more prolific in art & culture or in academic arena like the Gujaratis & Marwaris are better in Business acumen. Its that diversity that makes our country so special
Written by the leftists, the School History is dominated by descriptions of Bengali personalities so much so that it left an impression in me in the school days that Bengal must be a great state to make emerge such personalities as described in our books and in the backdrop of that to my boyish mind then, the English seemed to me utter baddies and United kingdom a gluttonous place !! And with that vivid imagination about Bengal I happened to visit Calcutta for the first time. First I could not believe I was in a city that was called the second largest in the empire. It was in sad contrast with what I was expecting there. The disorder, poor state of all things public and the ubiquitous squalor and stink I found implausible considering my belief about Bengal. All that I found good and working was British veneer . What a state it is. No where one finds three centuries alive and living together simultaneously. A few Bengalis may be nice and sophisticated people but they are mostly NRBs ( Non Resident bengalis). As someone has said, most of them neither work nor let others work through their silly trade union tactics.
>> "However, few will deny that when it comes to setting an example in simplicity and honesty, she [Mamata] is one in a million."
Very true. No one can doubt her honesty. But, honesty and stupidity form a destructive combination.
>> "Bangali jagao…kaajey lagao….(Wake up the Bengalis and make them work)"
No let those buggers sleep!! If they wake up, they themselves won't work. Nor will they let the hard-working immigrants and some other Bangalis (exceptions) work.
My humble request to Mamathaji is, not to indulge in showmanship.See,how Rahul Gandhi was thrown into gutters for all his stunts like eating in a Dalit home or riding a motor cycle at Batta Perasaul.
Amazing grace. One cannot think of a single CM elsewhere in the country who would offer a humble citizen a lift in his / her car.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT