Apropos The Salvation Armyman, virtually all the more politically savvy army brass have gone on to post-retirement careers in politics; it’s part of the bait not to rock the boat. And almost of them, not surprisingly, have taken the right-wing route (read BJP). V.K. Singh, though, might have queered his pitch a bit. Still, nothing that a bit of quiet time, post-retirement, cannot cure.
Biswapriya Purkayastha, Shillong
These same officers who quote Chetwode at NDA passing-out parades won’t hesitate to sanction anything if they can make a buck from it. Be that an aircraft carrier or toilet paper, every item in the armed forces is inflated 5-10 times. Just check the invoices. All contracts of the last 10 years should be scrutinised with particular attention to those involving our governors (Gen J.J. Singh) and ambassadors (Adm Sureesh Mehta).
Jeff Stewart, Delhi
One can destroy a lifetime of achievements by pointing to some minor aberration.K.P.S.Gill for all his great contribution in finishing the Khalistani terrorism,was hounded for alleged of caressing a woman IAS officer's bottom,while in a tipsy condition.
Virtually all the more politically savvy military brass have gone on to post-retirement careers in politics or ambassadorships; it's part of the bait not to rock the boat. Almost all of them, not surprisingly, have represented the far right wing (read BJP). If VK Singh wants a role in politics, though, he might have overplayed his hand a mite; he'll have to vanish from public life for a while post-retirement if he's not to face accusations of having manufactured the "controversy" for his own benefit.
Either way, the Congress is doomed.
Watch him fight Lok Sabha Election on bjp ticket. The agenda of targetting Sonia Gandhi (for her sacrifice) and honest ministers (Antony and Man Mohan Singh) is working very well. Of course ppl workng on bjps behalf would be paid handsomely with loksabha tickets whether Army Chief or Hazare group.
People with ambition hardly ever cared about "useless" things like morale of Indian Army or strength of our democratic institutions.
VKS has saved the Army and the Country from going the Congress way. Has anyody noticed that anything that the Congress does or speaks or plans, there is a whiff of a SCAM. Does anybody even believe what their spokespersons say on TV. Why? Its the credibility that counts.
VKS vs MMS, VKS vs Antony, VKS vs ex Generals, VKS vs MOD...I would bet on VKS anyday, anytime. The country's security is a no nonsense matter. It is safe in VKS's hands. I can assure you.
The fact that Gen. V.K.Singh is, unlike previous chiefs, at least drawing attention to some contentious issues is a plus for him. However the criticism that he has made a spectacle of the army by fighting a battle through the media does have some validity. If he is doing all this to help him with a post-retirement political career, that would be unforgivable.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT