Apropos His Barony, Undermined (Oct 10), not a lot of readers will be astounded by this story for except our law enforcement agencies and the judiciary, the loot at the mines, the destruction of vast stretches of land, the links with politicians across party lines, the impunity with which the Reddys operated, was written about and visible to anyone who bothered to look. How was this allowed to go on so long? That is the real scandal.
Santosh John Samuel, Kochi
The Reddy brothers’ story is a classic example of how arrogance combined with stupidity can finish one off quickly. Those who want to be corrupt and get away with it should take lessons from the likes of Sharad Pawar. He is a good example of how one can spirit away wealth for decades and still be above the law.
G. Natrajan, Hyderabad
i dont want say anthing about issue......but in the picture dont have karunakara reddy..in that photo only G Janardhana reddy and one of his brother G Somasheakar reddy.
Although the details of the wealth and the modus operandi are have a surreal feel, i'm sure a lot of readers are not very astounded by this story -- not because we do not believe it to true, but because Bellary and the Reddy brothers have been in the news for close to 10 years! Except our law-enforcement agencies and the judiciary, many people who have followed the news seemed to be aware of the loot at the mines, the destruction of vast stretches of land and natural resources, the links with politicians across party line, the impunity which with this family operated, and so on.
How was this allowed to go on for such a long time? That to us is the real scandal. And much as we gloat over the apparent netting of the Reddys’, the destruction of the lives, land and minerals cannot be measured.
The Reddy Brother's story is a classic example of how arrogance combined with stupidity can finish a person quickly. Those who want to be corrupt and get away with it, should take lessons from the likes of Sharad Pawar. He is a good example of how one can loot away for decades and still evade the law.
The BJP is free of the albatross of the infamy the Reddy brothers have earned. The BJP being a party with a shred of integrity and few of philanthropy, used the brothers to build up its base. It even deferred to them when they tried to run the government, and Sushma Swaraj tried to rock the boat in favour of her Karnataka protege Ananth Kumar. The Reddy brothers then were powerful because the Congress was using its AP gauleiter YSR to cozy up to the Reddy brothers and destabilise the BJP in Karnataka. The Congress being the fount of India's bane - the 3 Cs of Corruption, Casteism, Communalism - tried everything. It used YSR to pull the Reddy brothers out of the BJP depending upon the common caste affilitation of the two. It tried to use the Reddy brothers to kindle the other flame it has used in the past to control Karnataka - that of keeping the Lingayats and Vokkaligas at each others's throats - and offered them the prizee of ruling over Karnataka as the middleman. This is how Urs (and Kuruba) and Hegde (a brahmin) were pitchforked into power, until that strategy unwound and ended with a farce like Dharam Singh. But the BJP instead, decided it would go for broke. It wasn't going to allow the Congress back into Karnataka or allow it to divide the Hindu vote. So it cut loose. First Sushma abandoned the Reddy brothers, simultaneously the BJP across in AP, encouraged Jagan to rebel, promising him the skies through his Karnataka connection, the Reddys. But Jagan ended up inviting the wrath of the Congress, and soon hte CBI itself was after him. And that brought out the humongous scale of loot that YSR lorded over in AP, which you as a "secular" Congress flunkey will never write on. Don't bristle, we know what journos like you are made of. In the meanwhile BSY stepped down only to be replaced by his protege - Vokkaliga! And the BJP carries on, and thanks to shortsighted "advisors" like you the Congress stumbles about in Karnataka while the BJP wins an by-election.
Keep spinning Sugatha, you are entertaining.
Why this writer had no guts to write on the much bigger loot by Rajashekar Reddy ,former CM of Andhra in full collusion with Sonia Gandhi?Janardhan Reddy made the fatal mistake of proclaiming that he would make Thayee(Mother) Sushma Swaraj the prime minister of India.So,Sonia has let loose these CBI hounds against Janardhan Reddy.Sonia's henchman Governor Bhardwaj and the CEC have all ganged up to put Janardhan Reddy in this position leaving aside Congress looters like Anil Lad,Dharam Singh,Goa CM Digambar Kamat and others.CBI is truly Congress Bureau of Investigation which is focussing only on Janardhan Reddy.
Nice picture! The caption could have been : HOW MUCH MORE PUBLIC MONEY CAN THEY EAT?
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT