Cheap Logomachy exposes the role of mass media in mobilising public support to further the interests of fringe elements in the LoC affair. And everyone knows how our corporate-controlled big media ‘manufactures consent’ among the people. They select targets, they determine the boundaries, they shape discussions, they control the flow of information.... Such media outlets must be held accountable for the wilful and malicious propaganda they put out.
Really must file a RTI and see how this publication company is alive. Maybe these hate monger leftists like SV do their articles for free. Pathetic Creep
//the LoC is a ceasefire line where //
Exactly, my red friend! In war, you expect such barbaric behaviour. It is not too uncommon.
It doesn't make it legitimate, but it is possible to move on. But we thought it was ceasefire? yes, firing and killings happen. But this behaviour is typical of certain tribal mindsets found in Pakistan.
However, the intensity and the frequency of these incidents within Pakistan and of course, outside, is spectacular. They do it in Pakistan against their own people and do it against us infidels. It has happened in the last century & for centuries before as well.
There is a certain kind of religious and ethnic tribal fanaticism that exists over there that enables people to do this without feeling an iota of guilt.
Beautiful and objective journalism still exists. The article primarily exposes the role of mass media to mobilize public support for the special interests of fringe elements in the ranks of Indian Govt and also their disrupting abilities.
Clearly, the purported defense against some foreign danger has become instruments of tyranny at home. The corporate media has grown just too powerful and purchasable to manufacture consent amongst the populace. They set the agenda, they select targets, they determine the boundaries, they shape discussions, they control the people, the flow of information and they even restrict to serve their dominant bosses to achieve their goals.
While the talk of containing the maverick mass media is a taboo, we ought to device strategies to counter its ill-effects. The media has to be accounted for what it willfully and maliciously hides and that if revealed could diffuse tensions and promote some peace.
Nationalism is indeed a disease that has made monsters out of normal people…and the butchers who behead each other are regarded as Heroes in their respective countries.
there is a class of psuedo intellectual in India who loves to appear above the fray, but they only reveal their own stupidiy. The beheading is not in dispute. The reason why such incidents become news is hard to say, but it usually reflects some kind of "tipping point". Why does some murder or rape make the news, when there are dozens of such incident daily. You could write a thesis on it.
The writer ignores the wider background, the history of Pakistani sponsored terrorism, the supressed rage from the 26/11 attack that is now dismissed by the Pakistanis as inconsequential, the passivity of the Indian state. Only now Pakisitanis can quote articles from "kafila" and outlookindia" to feel even more smugly satisfied. What you are doing is setting up the justification, or even narrative, for the next terrorist attack. Thanking you Sir
I am not sure why the author is barking at media if he agrees that incidence like this should come to light. Just because they did not in the past that does not mean that media should not report them now. The same argument was used by some sickos for outage against rape. We cannot have a normal relationship with Pakistan if we are going to have war like situation at LOC.
There is a false argument here that the underlying reason for the conflict is the unsolved Kashmir problem and that if Kashmir is handed over on a platter to Pakistan all will be well and eternal piece and harmony will descend on the subcontinent if not on the entire world. The naive or the biassed liberals and secularists in India as well as abroad will do well to realise and accept that the problem not only between India and Pakistan but the world over is militant Islam. It is intolerant of not only other religions but other Islamic sects as well and unleashes inhuman violence in order to ultimately establish the Shariat on the whole world. If and when it happens theree will be no secularists left to condemn the saffron pariwar.
The Media both visual and print go for sensational
negative reporting that 'good news' has become if not
rare buried in fifth or seventh pages. Another wonder is that
like public memmory the media memmory is also very short.
After breaking or sensationalising till they get another catch,
they conviniently forget the earlier catch. I mean no follow up.
Earlier it was not like that. Why the hell media fear to reveal
the source of NEWS?
Outlook did a hit job on Swami Vivekananda last week and very quickly moved it to a back issue (while relegating Owasi and the Delhi rape case to little snippets).
Now you are giving the benefit of the doubt to Pakistan and not to India. Indian defense establishment is more believable than your version.
How do you manage to go to town with such bad journalism two times in a row?
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT