"I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
Leonard Cohen, one of music's most revered and visionary artists has died. The Canadian-born songwriter was known for his poetic lyrics that dealt with faith, love, despair and exaltation, combining spirituality and sexuality. All this he rendered in his signature deep voice which reverberated with every note he hit.
His lyrics are laden with metaphors and their literary quality put them in the genre of poetry. In fact, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame described him as "one of the few artists in the realm of popular music who can truly be called poets".
Cohen started his music career at the age of 33 and never recorded a chart single and didn't place an album in the top 10 until he was in his 70s. It was only when other well-known artists did covers of his brilliant songs which he wrote early in his career such as "Suzanne" and "Birds of a wire" that he got any visibility.
Cohen released his final album "You Want It Darker". Around the same time, in an interview to David Remnick, published in the New Yorker, Cohen said "I am ready to die", a statement that seems almost prophetic now.
In his memory, this playlist brings to you some of his memorable songs with the hope that their poetry will leave an indelible impression on your heart, if they haven't already.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- Shiv Sena Shuts Meat Shops, KFC in Gurugram
- 'Getting Threats for Criticising BJP, Modi'
- Why President Zuma Was Told Not To Attend Funeral Of Anit-Apartheid Doyen Ahmed Kathrada
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Centre Unlikely To Grant Permission For Cricket Team To Play Pakistan In Dubai Due To J&K Situation
- Surya Namaskar Similar to Namaz, Says Yogi Adityanath Slamming Opposing Views On Yoga
- Former Hockey Player Aslam Khan Forms RSS-Like Outfit To Help Congress
- Government Embarrassed In Rajya Sabha, Five Opposition Amendments To Finance Bill Adopted
- Demonetisation: Old Currency Worth Rs 8,000 Crore Lying With District Co-Op Banks, Says Sharad Pawar
- Brexit Countdown Begins as Article 50 Triggered