Hindutva Jihad: 'If They Kill One Hindu, 100 Will Be...'
A video purportedly showing BJP's controversial Loksabha MP from Gorakhpur, Yogi Adityanath, making incendiary comments has brought the focus back on the BJP's Hindutva agenda and the attempts to polarise people on religious and communal lines.
In the video, which is undated, and is said to be made during the campaign for 2009 Loksabha elections, Adityanath is shown and heard saying first that he was very concerned about a court directive to Uttar Pradesh government to investigate why Hindu girls were going [eloping] with Muslim men.
He goes on to say that later he heard about an appeal by a Muslim man from Gorakhpur that while elsewhere in Uttar Pradesh Hindu girls might be eloping with Muslim men, in Gorakhpur it is the Muslim girls who end up in Hindu households. At this point the assembled crowd of men cheer wildly.
He talks about converting people to Hinduism and then says, "wo agar 1 Hindu baalikaa ko le jaayenge to kam se kam 100 Muslim baalikaaon ko... ["If they take one Hindu girl away, there will be at least 100 that we will..."] and then he pauses, as the crowd cheers and completes his sentence.
He does not just stop there and goes on to say, "agar vo ek Hindu ko maarenge to 100 ko hum bhi...[If they kill one Hindu, there will be 100 that we" and pauses, as the gathered crowd shouts: "maarenge [kill]"
"We will return whatever they do 100 folds, with interest," he is heard saying.
On being asked about this speech, he refused to confirm or deny it and said it was the media's responsibility to find out the autheticity of any video before showing it.
In the run up to the assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh, while the BJP removed the controversial 'Love Jihad' from its resolution in a party meeting in Vrindavan last week, various Hindutva outfits and leaders continue to rake up the subject.
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED