Gadkari's Lawyers Cite 'Faking News' Against Kejriwal
Media houses have often fallen prey to oh-so-clever spoof news sites. One burning example is that of the online version of the Chinese Communist Party's official newspaper which took the US satirical website, the Onion, a little too seriously. The People's Daily ran a 55-page photo spread of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un who had been declared The Onion's Sexiest Man Alive for 2012.
And now, such lampooning sites seem to have made their presence felt in the Indian jusicial system as well.
On Tuesday May 27, arguing against Prashant Bhushan who is representing AAP president Arvind Kejriwal in the defamation case, former BJP President Nitin Gadkari’s lawyers told the court that Prashant Bhushan was planning to teach law to all the judges of this country by offering free home tuitions.
Senior advocate Pinky Anand claimed that this had been reported by a news site.
The counsel referred to the news to show that statements, such as an AAP leaders saying that the magistrate who sent Kejriwal to jail needed to be taught law all over again, were contemptuous.
It so turned out that the new site under question happened to be a spoof news site, Faking News.
Reporting the incident, Firstpost said that, "There have been earlier occasions when reports by Faking News were reported as true news by some mainstream media outlets, but this is the first time they have made it to a court hearing as a piece of legal evidence, thanks to Gadkari’s team."
The TOI reported: The lawyer representing Gadkari withdrew the submission in court, as an "inadvertent mistake".
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- PM Modi Unveils 112 Feet Shiva Statue In Coimbatore
- Crime Branch Begins Probe On ABVP AISA Clash At Ramjas College
- 'Do We Belong Here?' Asks Wife Of Indian Techie Who Was Shot Dead In US
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi