First published in Haaretz, Israel. Courtesy: Znet
Thank you to all those who have taken the trouble to read the article and share their thoughts. Out of the arguments made here, there are two that perhaps need answering. So here they go.
1. The first part of the article compares outcomes (relative percentages of population of the religions concerned) irrespective of the process that led to those outcomes - whether immigration, relatively faster population growth or conversions. This was for two reasons. One, to put the figure of 2.3 per cent in "numerical perspective", as the article itself explained. The second reason was that outcomes are ultimately what the crux of debate is about. The rest of the article in any case dealt with process - or conversions in this case, from both a contemporary and historical perspective.
2. Some commenters have tried to cast doubts on the reliability of Census 2001. Those who do this should bear in mind that Census 2001 was conducted by a BJP government. Considering the extreme importance that BJP gives to this issue, it would be reasonable to expect that IF it had perceived a problem with the methodology that was distorting the numbers, it would have fixed it. As the article mentioned, BJP or BJP-supported governments have been in power for 10 of the last 40 years, or about a quarter of the time, and the only reasonable conclusion one can arrive at is that any misreporting of numbers, real or perceived, would be marginal and hence, not of importance.
To all other arguments made, my answer is the following: Please read the article again, with particular focus on the quotations of Vivekananda and Monier Williams, and the history of the missionary efforts in Bengal and their outcome.
Why is Outlook censoring all news of the Meerut gangrape and forced conversion of a Hindu girl?
I am not a supporter of politics associated with Palestinians or Israelis. It is a well known fact that the West has created a monster in the Middle East and for decades it has been out of control. It is ridiculous when innocent people on both sides are killed on a daily basis and the rest of the world watches on. Both sides will need to adhere to - "Live and let live".
Ordinary peace-loving Palestinians will need to disconnect from Hamas, the neighbouring countries in the Middle East need to disarm Hamas and the rest of the world should put pressure on Israel to negotiate, agree and settle for peace with Palestinians directly. Otherwise this mad mayhem on both sides is bound to continue for ages !
Why Arundhati ROy has not come out with an article supporting Hamas-Gandhians with Rockets.
"don't waste your time responding to bigots like lallu, their logic is predictably twisted enough. bombing small kids are fine as long as these kids are muslims because muslim fundamentalists in other (mostly) failed states kill, convert, kidnap and kick-out non-muslims." chachabhatija
This is called projection. For people like you, atrocities committed by Muslims are fine as long as the victims are non-Muslims - you will come up with endless excuses like "failed states" , or my own favourite, "global warming" (this is how the Guardian explained away the Boko Haram - apparently global warming causes you to enslave little girls)! But if non-Muslims take action against Muslims for terrorist acts like launching rockets into cities, it is a war crime.
And if Muslim atrocities result from "failed states", India must be a failed state. - remember the Kashmiri Pandits? The Kashmiri pandits were ethnically cleansed by Muslims there without a squeak of protest from the same liberal lions like you who are incensed over events in Mongolia or in your case, Budapest.
Here is another example of where this moronic attitude of yours, which is common among the "intelligentsia" of our country, has gotten us to. Remember the tidal wave of outrage when a Shiv Sena fellow put a roti in the mouth of a Muslim guy during Ramzan? The Indian Express gave it headlines on its front page, the Hindu had editorials, and it was reported as far away as the UK in the Guardian. Here is some news about a kidnapping and forced conversion in India of a girl from a "certain community". See any media outrage?
"..Tension gripped Meerut district's Kharkhauda and Atrada areas here as members of a particular communities attacked and pelted stones at the houses of members of another community last night, over the alleged gangrape and religious conversion of a 20-year-old woman here.
Police and Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) personnel have been deployed in the area to bring the situation under control.
According to Superintendent of Police (rural) Captain M S Begh, the 20-year-old woman's father had lodged a complaint last night in Kharkhauda police station against Village Pradhan Nawab Khan, cleric Sallaullah, his wife and daughter Nishant for abduction and rape.
The complainant alleged that Nawab along with five others abducted his daughter on July 23 and took her to a Madrassa where they raped and illegally confined her. They also forcefully made her sign some papers related to religious conversion..."
I guess now that chachaji has declared India to be a failed state, we can expect more incidents like this while chachaji flatulates in Budapest.
@thrivikram, don't waste your time responding to bigots like lallu, their logic is predictably twisted enough. bombing small kids are fine as long as these kids are muslims because muslim fundamentalists in other (mostly) failed states kill, convert, kidnap and kick-out non-muslims. huh! let's look at another random example, the biggest war-crime and aggression yet in the 21st century, iraq. iraq, an islamic country has been utterly destroyed by the biggest rogue-state of them all, us of a (who didn't give visa to namo), of the "god bless america" fame (they have appropriated all the god's blessing and that's why people in other places get bombed/droned/gassed etc). anyway, iraq was ruled by a monster (who happened to have a lot of christians in his baath party) but it was at least a functioning country. and it is now reduced to being a hell-hole (with criminal marauders like isis gaining power in the chaos, muslims again you see). and before that it was vietnam, cambodia, korea, laos, guatemala, el Salvador, chile, phillipines etc. etc. i guess, according to lallu logic it would be just christians on rampage (although many of the victims were christians themselves). hmm, doesn't sound logical, does it? or is it sound logic? confused? no, just have some prejudice and all the world's problems will be explained to you in a flash!! bhaiya, thoda ganja aur bhang ka sevan karo aur fir comments padho. aaaanly then this will make sense. kyon bhai chachaaaaaa, arrey han bhatijaaa. i think i have posted a fine piece of crap in response to the truck-load of crap that i had read recently (my fault). now my ganja is taking effect. jai bholenath. bigots of the world unite, kill and be happy. (apologies to those who don't understand hindi)
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT