I do not see any Modi wave. It is just a creation of the media. But the poll results will prove the media wrong as you will see the emergence of a third front.
Is that your wishful thinking ? After all your there has been so much talk about you father getting the top job in the event of a third front coming to power?
You will see my prediction coming true on May 16 . Let me tell you that Samajwadi Party’s poll graph has been rising with every phase of the election. But the decision on prime minister will be taken by the parties who provide an alternative government . You have seen how 11 parties have already held a joint meeting . When the time comes, more parties will join in and SP is bound to play a key role in the formation of such a government.
What do you see as your party’s USP which can beat the Modi surge?
Well, our main strength comes from our secular credentials. And combined with that we have our development agenda , which makes us a far more deadly combination than the much hyped Gujarat model . No matter how much Narendra Modi might be bragging about his Gujarat model, the ultimate ground reality , which nobody can deny, is that he has only been pursuing a hardcore communal agenda.
But that was never reflected in any of his rallies , where he systematically shunned any mention of a single Hindutva related issue.
That is just a façade and only the gullible will believe that he is not pursuing a communal agenda. His is simply a Hindu model which has no room for any other community . Haven’t you heard slogans like ‘Har-Har Modi’ which reflect the communal megalomaniac in him. And mind you it is we— the most potent secular force— which is going to stop Modi’s march. You will see that happening soon.
Why is your secularism now often construed by many as pro-Muslim communalism which is as bad as pro-Hindu communalism ?
That is a baseless propaganda by anti secular forces who want to polarize the election on religious lines.
But your government has suffered much loss of credibility in its first two years itself
That is again a false projection by the media, which fails to see what the Samajwadi party government has done for UP’s development. No one writes about 15 lakh Laptops given away by us to young students clearing Class XII in UP . You fail to see our secular and socialist thought behind the scheme , which is the only scheme of its kind in the country. We included every section of society as beneficiary thereby bringing an end to the digital divide among people of the state. Laptops have also helped to overcome the English phobia by which the state was bitten for years.
Perhaps you have forgotten how much has been written about your laptops . What happened to your promise to distribute 25 lakh Tablets to those passing Class X ?
We had to abandon that scheme because the technology upgradation in Tablets is extremely rapid , so Tablets given by us may not have been of long-term use.
People had many more expectations from you and they feel their hopes have been belied
I am giving UP a unique expressway connecting Lucknow to Agra which is being built with the government’s own resources . It is going to cost some Rs. 1600 crores.
But the state has pitched in because you failed to get any bidder under the PPP model , simply because this expressway was not considered economically viable. After all two parallel four-lane highways already exist along the route. The only difference is that this one proposes to cover Kannauj , your wife’s constituency.
That is incorrect. Bidders did not come because we were not willing to give them a land parcel which all private players wanted as a quid pro quo under the PPP model. But we were not ready for that as it would have led to compromising with the interest of famers whose land would have to be acquired for the purpose. I am not an enemy of farmers. In any case, the PPP model has failed all over the country.
What about your unique model ? Would it not involve acquisition of land now ? After all land is required for the expressway
No . The alignment we have drawn for the expressway will not involve acquisition of any cultivable land .
What else do you think you have done to claim that your development model is better than the Gujarat model ?
We are developing a Lion safari in Etawah, we are linking 16 district headquarters with high-class four-lane highways , we introduced Kanya Vidyadhan scheme to promote education among young girls . For the state capital here , we are going to build an international class cricket stadium , a world-class metro system, an IT City to be developed with the assistance of HCL and Infosys.
Have you seen the state of your existing highways ? Their condition is just pathetic and several major highways have more potholes than road.
Those must be the national highways for which the centre has been holding back funds.
What about the deteriorating power situation and the law and order ? Despite all your promises, the situation has worsened on both fronts .
We had inherited a poor power situation . Improvement in that sector is a long drawn process . We are on the job and you will see the result of our work over the coming months. As for the law and order situation, it is again a false propaganda by the opposition and distorted projection by the media.
The common feeling is that your party is likely to suffer losses in this Lok Sabha election ? What is your take on that ?
I have no worries . I am confident that my work as chief minister will pay . As such, SP will not clearly retain what he had in 2009 , but we will also make appreciable gains in several places where he had lost in 2009 by a thin margin.
Don’t you fear that the likes of Amit Shah , who are sitting over the helm of BJP affairs in UP , would try and topple your government by engineering mass defections or through other machinations ?
I have no such fear because I do not think these people will ever dare to take ‘panga’ with us. After all they ought to know what Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav is made of and how he is capable of dealing with people who try to act funny.
Modi often tries to run you down by referring to your dynastic succession as ‘Baap-Bete ki sarkar.’
I don’t care. Yes, Netaji has made me chief minister. Modi keeps talking about his 56- inch chest . If he has a son, let him also make him CM.
Thank you to all those who have taken the trouble to read the article and share their thoughts. Out of the arguments made here, there are two that perhaps need answering. So here they go.
1. The first part of the article compares outcomes (relative percentages of population of the religions concerned) irrespective of the process that led to those outcomes - whether immigration, relatively faster population growth or conversions. This was for two reasons. One, to put the figure of 2.3 per cent in "numerical perspective", as the article itself explained. The second reason was that outcomes are ultimately what the crux of debate is about. The rest of the article in any case dealt with process - or conversions in this case, from both a contemporary and historical perspective.
2. Some commenters have tried to cast doubts on the reliability of Census 2001. Those who do this should bear in mind that Census 2001 was conducted by a BJP government. Considering the extreme importance that BJP gives to this issue, it would be reasonable to expect that IF it had perceived a problem with the methodology that was distorting the numbers, it would have fixed it. As the article mentioned, BJP or BJP-supported governments have been in power for 10 of the last 40 years, or about a quarter of the time, and the only reasonable conclusion one can arrive at is that any misreporting of numbers, real or perceived, would be marginal and hence, not of importance.
To all other arguments made, my answer is the following: Please read the article again, with particular focus on the quotations of Vivekananda and Monier Williams, and the history of the missionary efforts in Bengal and their outcome.
" But the poll results will prove the media wrong as you will see the emergence of a third front."
He is right. There is a third front emerging in the opposition.
This actually means you were so much cutoff from public. Time to mend ways otherwise the result will be same 5 seats in assmebly as well.
"'I Do Not See Any Modi Wave'
Obviously. Modi wave is known to blind people who don't take precautions.
did you see it sir?
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT