Not politics. I joined the BJP.
What’s the difference?
I don’t understand politics. But I understand and love the BJP and the people in it. They respect my idols like Swami Vivekananda. And the party has great leaders like Atalji, Advaniji, Modiji and Rajnathji are all excellent people.
Do you think Narendra Modi will be PM?
If you were there at the Calcutta rally, you would have seen how people are drawn to him. His messages are full of hope for the future.
But what about the party’s ‘communal’ tag?
One thing every BJP member knows is that Bappi Lahiri will never be communal. I respect all religions. My fans across the world include Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs....
Would you have joined any other party if they had called you? Trinamool or CPI(M)?
I won’t criticise other parties. I have great respect for Mamata Banerjee, Sonia Gandhi and Left leaders. But it’s BJP I want to be with.
Will you contest the Lok Sabha elections?
You will come to know of my decision around February 22.
How will you juggle your musical commitments and the hectic campaigning?
Music remains my first love. But I wanted to join the party because I wanted to use my music to do something good for India’s poor.
Any specific plans?
I really do want to help talented musicians who never manage to make it because they don’t have opportunities.
No interview of Bappi Lahiri can be complete without a question about your love for gold.
Actually, gold is lucky for me. But I know people make fun of it.
Why do you think that?
It has happened. People caricature me...the gold chains, the rings and the gold rings. But that’s my style.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT