I lie in pain but had to continue with this secret diary. I am lying on a bed of arrows on the battlefield at Kurukshetra so that the world and the International Olympic Council will know about my contribution to archery. For as a BJP stalwart, I must emulate the example of my ancestor and the great archer, Bhishma Pitamaha, who took to a similar bed at the end. Tradition must be maintained but people who rule us have no regard for this. Ditto for the IOC. Why can’t I be the president of the Archery Association of India at age 80? Haven’t I done it 40 years? What is 80? Go back to the Great Mahabharata heroes. No one questioned how old Bhishma Pitamaha was when he was chosen to lead the Kaurava contingent at the Kurukshetra Olympics of death. His successors, Dronacharya and Krupacharya, were no spring chickens either. They lived for hundreds and hundreds of years, occupied very high positions and no one asked them to retire. That is our Hindu tradition and Hindu culture, so why are we sneering today? When I preside over the Archery Association meetings or lead the Indian Archery contingents at events, I feel like Arjuna in his chariot holding the mighty bow, the great Gandiva. I wanted to carry the great conch Panchajanya but they overruled it. If I had got a chance to blow on it during the march past, the other contingents would have been blown away in terror...and Bharat would have come back home with all the gold, silver and bronze medals.
The IOC ruling and the derecognition of the Archery Federation of India by the sports ministry will not faze me. I am in the Bhishma Pitamaha mould, invincible (which is perhaps why the sports ministry, using the IOC ruling as a Shikhandi, is trying to oust me). Mind you, my attitude is one of tradition but a mesh of east and west. So even while following Mahabharata standards, I have not ignored the archery skills of William Tell or Robin Hood. In fact, everyone chosen for archery teams had to undergo this archery test, keeping an apple on their heads which I would bring down with my bow and arrow. Those who hesitated were not chosen. Ask anyone from Delhi’s fruit bazaars, I have bought the maximum number of apples (and billed them to the association).
People like us who head various sports organisations are immortal. Bhishma passed away on his bed of arrows but I shall survive this ordeal and come back to haunt the IOC and the sports ministry. No one can get rid of dedicated archers like me, armed with divine weapons like the invincible Brahmastra. Look out for the Indian archers parade at the Brazil Olympics in 2014. I will be leading the team, twanging my Gandiva and blowing on my Panchajanya.
The Mumbai-based satirist is the creator of ‘Trishanku’; E-mail your secret diarist: vgangadhar70 AT gmail.com
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT