What does your travel company do?
We take people for mountaineering and trekking. LWTC is the first travel agency in Ladakh solely operated by women.
How did you set up the enterprise?
Experience, love for the mountains, hard work and my stint as a tour guide helped me. I wanted to help Ladakhi women financially.
How did you prepare for it?
To improve my skills as a guide, I did a mountaineering course at the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering and studied at the National Outdoor Leadership School.
You’re the first Ladakhi to work as an instructional aide at the National Outdoor Leadership School....
Yes, I received financial support, but had my heart in the right place.
Were you always fond of the outdoors?
I'd accompany my father to the mountains to hunt for animal fodder. I’ll always love them.
Is it common among Ladakhi women to access the mountains?
They don’t work as guides despite great knowledge of the terrain.
What challenges did you have to face while training people?
Gaining command over English and local dialects.
What kind of growth have you registered?
In four years, we have grown from three to 22 employees. After being featured in Guardian and BBC, we started getting foreign clients too.
How do you manage the off-season?
We are experimenting with organic farm products that can be sold in winter.
What do you expect from the government?
We want to educate Ladakhi women about their rights in terms of inheritance, separation, sexual crimes etc. Ladakh is cut off during winter and there are issues with internet access and electricity. The government needs to help.
Very proud of you and wishing you and the rest of the staff all the best!
Looking forward my visit to Ladakh in very near future.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT