Yeh sab kya ho raha hai? Log kahte hain my bahut phamous ho gaya? Kaise? Idhar udhar pooch liya. Let me continue in angrezi because mujhe angrezi sudhaarne ki zaroorat hai. Suniye, I am told I am now famous in beauty parlours, five-star coffee clubs, murgi parties, page 3 functions and so on. Should I be happy?
I don’t know. For years, no one liked Sethjis in India. Raj Kapoor, Mehboob Khan and others made pots of money but always depicted Sethjis as greedy, immoral, uncouth villains. Humko kaise kaise naam diya in logon ne! Seth Dharamdas, Seth Gadbad Das and so on. The filmwallas became Sethjis themselves but gave us a bad name. Why did they do it...haan, ‘Chochialism’ or something like that.
Leave the Sethji alone, that is all I ask. Humko badnam karna bahut asaan hai, so everyone does it. Now I have a new avatar, a book character, which is even worse. I am allergic to perfumes, yet am surrounded by the smell of sandalwood paste, rose petals, joss sticks, pure ghee and so on. Poore sharir mein allergy ho jata hai. What is the use of bringing this Amrita? Dekho bhai, Maha Vishnu along with 33 crore devas churned the milky ocean and ‘Amrita’ came out. It was for the sake of mankind, and Sethji too had a taste of it. Kuch bhi likh sakte hain? Aisa affair high society mein nahin hota hai?
Why should Sethji be disturbed with the news of a rape? Open any newspaper, you read about dozens of rapes...models, actresses, foreign girls, call centre girls and so on. And to disturb Sethji’s maalish session with a rape-cum-assault case! Ha, times have not changed. Who says rape is a serious crime now? How many Mumbai, Delhi, Chandigarh rape cases have been solved and the gunahgar punished?
So much bakwas about TV anchors grilling me over my kaam as minister of road transport! Rubbish. Yes, I did appear on many channels, mostly hi-fi English. Yeh anchor log kidhar se aate hain, maloom nahin. Sethji cannot follow their English Vinglish. Aur the questions are so long, their shouting is so ear-piercing and before I clear my throat, they jump to the next question. In a way that is good, I don’t have to answer any problem questions. I stopped reading newspapers and magazines, kuchh bhi likh leten hai. Rape, rape ka puraan chalta hi rahta hai. Sethji does not care if ‘bloody Suraj had kept his pecker to himself’. That is his constitutional right, each one to his own pecker.
Sethji ke baare mein bahut galat likha hai. Normally media people asked me my views on economic outlook etc. I put them off because I am interested only in my ‘inlook’, not any ‘outlook’. I am upset Outlook slandered Sethji. My lawyer told me I should ‘soo’ them. I’ll do one better. I’ll go to their office and make ‘soo soo’ on the copies.
The Mumbai-based satirist is the creator of ‘Trishanku’; E-mail your secret diarist: vgangadhar70 AT gmail.com
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT