After retirement, the need for a Secret Diary has become acute. Before that I could write, speak whatever I wanted. But today the media is nasty, even publishing unflattering comments on me which never happened to the great Don. Why publish the fact that I attended only three out of the 129 Rajya Sabha sittings as of August 6, 2014. Thank God, the media did not know this was the exact figure (3/130) which I averaged in Maths in my schooldays. No wonder, I did not get admission even in Kirti College where my Dad was a faculty member!
Why did I accept the RS offer? Why not? With double digit inflation, the salary and perks are not be sniffed at. The cash as ‘constituency allowance’ also comes handy on several counts—running my restaurant, beauty parlour, memorabilia exhibition, it takes a toll. This was also for the public which still demands my darshan. I also consulted my seniors on the RS nomination. Lata didi (4/170) told me she consulted our common reverend Guru Balasaheb who advised her she was a nightingale who should not be in the company of crows. I thought this applied to me also because in my earlier playing days, my lbw appeals sounded like the melodies of a thrush!
Also, my misgivings about Parliament have proved correct. Did these politicians spend millions of rupees, fight and abuse one another only to spy on other people’s attendance figures? It’s okay for schools, but not for parliamentarians. My fans, time and again, told me that even when I was not present at a function, they could feel my presence. Or in a cricket match even when I was not batting, they saw me instead of the two who were at the crease. I was sure such faith would exist in the House but was mistaken. The media, which once ate out of my hands, asks rude questions. If I did not have time to be in the House, how could I spare time for publicity shots, endorsements or launches which have nothing to do with cricket? Ha, the two functions are totally different, glamour and cash rule one, boredom the other.
I don’t go by numbers except in cricket where I know exactly how many runs I have to score to create yet another record. Those are the records I can set and then remember. Shabana attended 113 out of 170 RS sittings because she was determined to help slum-dwellers. I know of slums too, having had to change flats and bungalows five times before settling down in a Bandra palace, far away from any polluting slum. You don’t score a century at the Wankhede after living close to a slum. Anyway, I shall return to the House, sign my name and hope my arrears will be paid with retrospective effect and without any cuts.
The Mumbai-based satirist is the creator of ‘Trishanku’; E-mail your secret diarist: vgangadhar70 [AT] gmail [DOT] com
V. Gangadhar was at his sarcastic best in the Secret Diary of Sachin Tendulkar (Aug 25). The Rajya Sabha does not really need sweet nightingales, ravishing cine heroines and cricket gods to enrich the quality of parliamentary debate, and represent in any way millions of impoverished Indians. Most lamentably, national celebs are totally ignorant of the very purpose of their nomination to the Rajya Sabha.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT