It was the statehood dream that the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) was founded on, a single-point agenda that stands fulfilled today. K.T. Rama Rao, party MLA and son of TRS supremo K. Chandrasekhara Rao, is spending a lot of time in Delhi these days. When not making rounds of TV studios to participate in noisy debates, KTR, as he is popularly known, is in hectic confabulations with the Congress. He shares his future outlook for the new state and his party.
Will TRS merge with the Congress?
We are still allowing it all to sink in. One hurdle after the other has been overcome. Mission impossible (Telangana statehood) was made possible because of the efforts of one man, KCR. Yes, we are in talks with the Congress. But there’s no formal proposal yet as to how we will work electorally. Our party cadre is against a merger as they feel that Telangana needs a regional party which would represent its interests better. Besides, nationwide, one can see that it is an era of regional parties. So we’ll have to wait and see.
Is this the Telangana you hoped for, the 10-year joint capital clause, law and order and municipal administration coming under the governor, among other things?
The UPA government cut it very close. So we had to choose between getting the bill passed or tweaking it to our own comfort. We are happy that most of what we wanted is there in this bill: mainly, Telangana with 10 districts and Hyderabad as capital. And Hyderabad’s revenue will accrue to Telangana. There should obviously be a financial package for Seemandhra.
The TRS has led a hate campaign against Seemandhra people earlier...
See, the remarks made by KCR—Andhrawaale bhaago, Telanganawaale jaago—at an Udyoga garjana meeting have to be seen in context. At that time, there was talk of Hyderabad being made a free zone in terms of employment. There was huge consternation about 1 lakh Seemandhra employees illegally stationed in Hyderabad. The T-movement was at its peak. My father was involved in a fight against many, including the vernacular media, which painted him as a divisive figure. If the TRS gets a chance to govern, we’ll certainly not focus on petty issues; instead we want progressive governance.
Branded as “settlers” by your party, how secure do you think they will feel in Hyderabad?
Let me make this clear. Anybody who’s made Hyderabad their home should feel secure and will be protected. There is no question of hounding anyone out. Hyderabad has already lost a lot of sheen as a brand because of the uncertainty. It is imperative that Hyderabad’s brand image is enhanced. We are not here to settle scores. In fact, the TRS has asked its cadre to be restrained in its victory celebrations too because that is the gracious thing to do. In 1969, the predominant slogan was “Andhras, go back”. The TRS believes statehood is a geographic division and not of people.
The TRS has no presence in Hyderabad or the adjoining Ranga Reddy district....
We’re aware of that. Since it’s a changed scenario, we’re looking at gaining a few seats in the coming elections.
There have been hits like Chhatisgarh, misses like Jharkhand. One hopes Telengana and its people will prosper and flourish.
Summary of article: After daddy, I will be CM.
"See, the remarks made by KCR—Andhrawaale bhaago, Telanganawaale jaago—at an Udyoga garjana meeting have to be seen in context. At that time, there was talk of Hyderabad being made a free zone in terms of employment. " Baba KCR
Countries like the US and UK encourage talented people from all over the world to live and work there. In all the years that I worked in the US, I never once had an American tell me "Indians should go live in India" nor was I discriminated against because I was born in some other country. The emphasis was on getting the best talent and rewarding performance. This is why the US and UK are rich, advanced countries.
In my own country, we have the Shiv Sena wanting "Madrasis" out of Mumbai, the AAP wanting college seats in Delhi to be reserved for Delhi-ites, and now this collossal fraud KCR telling me to leave Hyderabad because my ancestors come from Krishna district.
This is why our country is a shit-hole run by mediocrities and why it will probably always remain a shit-hole run by mediocrities, masturbatory fantasies about superpower status notwithstanding.
Hyderabad would overwhelmingly dominate economy of Telengana. The key question is whether the future rulers of the state be able to ensure a thriving and growing H'Bad and also ensure that rest of state is freed of poverty and deprivation?
That apart - it is obvious that TRS stays apart and decides on alliance and merger with CON party based on its prospects in coming election. Fact is - both new states need a friendly government @ Delhi to get their economies going smoothly !!!
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT