The former union telecom and communication minister Andimuthu Raja who is linked to the 2G multi-crore spectrum case, is optimistic of winning from the reserved (SC) Nilgiris constituency in Tamil Nadu for a second time in a row. Outlook caught up with him at the base of the Nilgiris ghats, in Mettupalayam, while he was buttoning the cuff of his full length white shirt, readying to set off on his campaign trail up the hills to the villages near Coonoor. Graciously he sat down for a chat and was at pains to explain how he had become a victim of the difference of opinions—that of the law ministry and the CBI.
Minu Ittyipe: What are your chances of winning the elections?
A. Raja: Bright. Very bright.
The opposition say you have spent 15 months in jail and there are is no way you can win here again.
I am making it an issue. Here is my pamphlet where I have put the picture of my arrest and the details of what happened in the court. I am not evading the case. I am asking: Is it true? You believe me or don’t believe me. Give me the evidence. I have classified it into two. The court of law is the Indian court. The court of justice is my constituency. I am asking the people to give me justice. What is the evidence gained so far? There is no DA [Disproportionate Assets] case against me. It has been admitted by the CBI. Income Tax and CBI combined investigation was done on Raja and Raja’s extended family both abroad and domestic and they did not find anything so there is no DA case. Subbarao, finance secretary, says there is no exchequer loss as per the policy—it was discussed with the prime minister. It was approved by the cabinet and the parliament. The case is going on whether ineligible companies were given eligibility to get the spectrum. Now whether the eligibility is correct or not is being disputed by the law ministry and the CBI. The law ministry says they are eligible, the CBI says they are not eligible. It is an opinion fight going on between these two and unnecessarily I had to spend 15 months in jail.
A section of the people in Nilgiris say you have not bothered to visit this constituency. You came in 2009 to file your nomination and you have come back now again to file your nomination.
That is misleading. I am the only MP maintaining two offices one in the hills and the other in the plains in Mettupalayam. I have two assistants. Every month I am touring the place. Every fortnight I come here. Only because of the trial some visits have been curtailed.
S Gurumurthy, the candidate of the BJP, was disqualified for his nomination paper was incomplete. Can you comment on that?
I do not want to comment on that. I don’t want to rely upon the weakness of any other candidates. I want to stand on my own strength—on my performance. What I have done for my people when I was MP and Kalaignar (M K Karunanidhi) was chief minister? The poor performance of the state government is an issue.
What are your major achievements?
You ask the people and tell me. The entire Nilgiris was affected by natural calamities and was cut off for 10 days (In 2009, over 100 landslides in the Nilgiris had cut it off) and the roads were completely destroyed and there was no electricity. There was no food, no transportation, no petrol, no diesel and 10,000 people were sheltered in the schools without houses. I tackled that within one month and rectified the problems. My performance—nobody can dispute it.
There are rumours that Gurumurthy has been bought over.
Maybe. I have seen the newspaper reports that AIADMK did something. These are mere speculations. I cannot comment on this.
Can you comment on the Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa’s disproportionate asset case?
Jayalalithaa is accusing me of 2G scam. Two things are very clear. One thing is that a public servant should not have disproportionate wealth. Second thing is that there should not be a exchequer loss to the government. That is also an offence. The third element is that any third party benefits then it is also an offence.
Even after spending 15 months in jail. You have kept a cool composure. How do you do that?
I am a student of the thoughts of Periyar, Annadurai and my leader Kalaignar. All these people were jailed so many times. When you are doing something for society—sometimes you are rewarded or pushed into a back position.
Is there anything that disturbs you?
I am a human being. 15 months in jail is disturbing but I took it as a challenge.
This interview by Minu Ittyipe in the Nilgiris does not appear in print
If Modi can give away land at Rs 1, and get away with it ( in the media and judiciary ), what wrong has Raja done?
That, without the clout, he has NOT got away with it?
The smug confident smile of third-rate criminal scumbag A.Raja and Kanimozhi needs to be wiped with a few years in prison -- the utter audacity of criminal scoundrels like A. Raja to sneer at charges against them is the mark of the first rate criminal mind with the confidence that the backing of the political end will suffice to save them.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT