Father Shibu Kalamparambil, 40, was defrocked from the Vicentian Congregation after 12 years as a priest. His memoir Oru Vaidikante Hrudayamitha (The Heart of a Priest) was published in 2010.
Why did you decide to write the book?
I had aired my views about the sexual misconduct of priests and financial irregularities many times but they were not willing to correct themselves. So I wrote this book and for four years I showed it to near and dear ones and to those inside the Church. They advised me not to publish it, they said it would be catastrophic. They kept saying that things will be corrected but they never were so I published my book.
What is the Church establishment’s response when a priest makes a complaint?
The complaints are dealt with by the bishops and they influence the laity. If a woman among the laity becomes pregnant because of a priest or a bishop, they build houses or give money to them and hush it up.
What happens when a nun gets pregnant?
A life is not born in the church. When it comes to the nuns, they either make her abort the child or she is sent out of the church. If the nun tries to take it up, then she is ostracised by society.
What about the financial irregularities?
Financial irregularities are rampant. The priest collects money in the name of reconstruction of the church. The laity who come to church donate in good faith. But some of the priests, they never reveal the exact amount to the parishioners...they take their share and hand over the remaining to the church.
THE FUNDING IN CHURCHES IS WELL ORGANISED. BY THE SIDE OF BROTHERS' LODGE, A CONVENT IS BUILT. BY THE SIDE OF CONVENT, A MATERNITY HOSPITAL IS ESTABLISHED. BY THE SIDE OF MATERNITY HOSPITAL, THERE IS AN ORPHANAGE. BY THE SIDE OF ORPHANAGE, THERE ARE ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS, A HIGH SCHOOLS AND A VOCATIONAL EDUCATION CENTRES.NUNS CAN SEE THE CHILDREN ALWAYS.
The timing of release of such news/articles/review is suspicious. Do the corporate media have some hidden agenda keeping in mind forth coming elections in Gujrat and other states where isaai votes have almost no impact?
Thanks to Shibus book, a few naive women working in the church ( esp. those planning to quit anyway ), will now learn how to retire rich - 'by becoming naughty with the priests'.
In order to prevent a 'scandal', the Church will then be forced to shell out a fortune to the 'victim'.
The media will never support the version of any male ( whether priest of prince ) anyway.
What about the sexual scandals in Australia, America and Europe? By the churches? Kudos to Outlook, you made me proud for your efforts to bring forth the garbage in the churches, even in India
first of all. do not generalise. there are priests who do this. there are other priests who do just the opposite. its not like india hasnt had its share of swamis who do worse things. and dont comment and give your opinion when you dont know the whole story. remeber we are hearing only one side of the argument. if u know only little about this, then with all due respect., SHUT UP.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT