Starring: Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence
Directed by David O. Russell
American Hustle is a pert and preposterous caper. Much like Silver Linings Playbook, it is peopled with outrageous, flamboyant characters brought alive by a delightfully kooky ensemble. The scene, however, shifts from the family to the world of crime—of frauds and fakes. Yet, at its core, American Hustle is about dysfunctional people conning their way through life. It’s about the games people play. It is about love, real as well as delusional, that manages to survive in a world where everyone is out to rip off the other. Set in late ’70s New York, the film has Christian Bale and Amy Adams as two con artists forced to join hands with FBI agent Bradley Cooper in doing a sting on politicians. The fun lies in the tale’s telling. Voiceovers, which can get irksome, are put to great use by Russell. At the start you have a wonderful display of man’s vanity: the shockingly pot-bellied Bale fixing his hair. He is in bad shape, yet confident. Adams is delicious as the go-getter girlfriend and Lawrence the anxiety-prone wife. There are some insanely cheeky sequences, capped by an insane sheikh in a casino. The ’70s comes alive in its boisterous flashiness too! The soundtrack stays beautifully in tune. A fun ride!
David O Russell again delivers. American Hustle is a very satisfying, at times brilliant, satire. One of my top 5 for 2013. Jennifer Lawrence is splendid.
Anwaar-ji , I do agree with you atleast on this count ... Superb film, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence are great, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale inspite of their stunning performances are pale in comparison .... Amy Adams, Oh My God !!! Splendid acting and beautiful .. stunning !!
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT