Niviston’s is not an easy life. He lives in Idinthakarai, near the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant, where residents can’t leave home without their I-card. His shot at freedom, he feels, is when he can leave the country and get a well-paying job abroad.
What I want to be
I am doing my diploma in mechanical engineering and I dream of securing a job in that field abroad. But it is difficult to get a passport for any of us in Idinthakarai because our village has been protesting against the Koodankulam Nuclear Plant.
What I think of India
There is no hope for me in India. I wanted to be a fisherman like my father but the future for us is so uncertain. We cannot catch fish near the Koodankulam plant for we will be chased off or shot at. My community is facing severe financial loss.
What makes me angry
I am angry with politicians. Look what happened in Bhopal—the Congress let off Warren Anderson even though so many people suffered. What will happen to us if there is a nuclear disaster?
Who I will vote for
All politicians are the same. I have heard about the right to reject a candidate. I may not even vote.
What religion means to me
I am religious because I grew up going to the church, but the church too has not done anything to improve our lot.
I’m most proud of
My village and its protest against the nuclear plant. Before the plant happened, our lives were peaceful. The best fishing catch was from this area but we have lost that. This region is disease-prone because of natural radiation from the soil but with the N-plant we are in more danger now. I don’t want to leave my village but I may not have a choice.
I like Kamalahaasan’s acting.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT