Shalom! What a wonderful week! Concerts in Kashmir (Srinagar) and dear old Bombay, oops, sorry, Mumbai. The Srinagar concert was more memorable, everyone arrived in BMWs, Mercs, other imported cars and hired limousines. With so many expensive, imported cars around, why are the Valley people complaining? Of course, later I learnt it was all courtesy the German embassy in Delhi. That’s okay with me but the ambassador will have to do some explaining to Chancellor Angela Merkel, when the bill for that extravaganza reaches her desk for approval. And to think she’s advocating a belt-tightening for Greece, Portugal and other poor European nations, urging their people to eat once a day! But the Srinagar show was worth all this, though some people did ask on which routes I operated, mistaking me for a local bus conductor.
Actually on this visit, my cup really runneth over. Gujarat leader Narendra Modi took the first step towards becoming the next Indian prime minister. I like his idea of development. In my Israel, we have the same passion, we achieve development through building settlements on land that actually belongs to the Palestinians. Well, West Asia is a big area and why can’t the Palestinians go and live elsewhere, leaving the poor Jews the Biblically-donated land that is Israel.
German trade delegations in Gujarat came back so impressed with the development, they have invited Modi to the fatherland to teach them details on how he did it. I think this can be best achieved with a joint German-Israel programme and very soon I shall be performing in Gandhinagar in the presence of Modi, Netanyahu and Merkel to collect funds for such a breakthrough development. I said in a media interview that if Hindus and Muslims sat together for an hour-and-a-half listening to music, it would start a healing process. Srinagar had two music concerts, one desi and one imported and there was a double healing. My Gujarati friends told me that with Modi at the helm they would pack the auditorium and open spaces with music lovers from the VHP and Bajrang Dal. They were already undergoing courses in the appreciation of Beethoven, Bach and so on. Smart folks, these Gujaratis, they are as smart as the Jews.
Now people can talk but why can’t I be a close friend of Israel and its philharmonic orchestra? It is a great democracy in a region which has no democracies. A democracy is a democracy, though I admit some of the right-wing coalition partners in the country belong to 2000 BC and do not accept most of the Ten Commandments, particularly those on not coveting thy neighbour’s land.
The Mumbai-based satirist is the creator of ‘Trishanku’; E-mail your secret diarist: vgangadhar70 AT gmail.com
Is Gangadhar high on drugs, or has he forgotten to take them?
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT