Ram Singh, one of the main accused of the 16th December gang rape case and the driver of the bus in which the gang rape happened, was found hanging in Tihar Jail today morning.
It is extremely suspicious how a man under such strict vigilance and security in custody could hang himself. The accused was under the 'suicide watch' in the jail at the time of the incident.
With the death of Ram Singh in custody, a rare chance of 'conviction' in a case of rape has been lost. Also, given the fact that he was driving a bus that had a rather dubious record of being fined several times for breaking rules and yet found itself on roads, there was a possibility that the trial would also in course of time expose the alleged nexus between the bus owners, traffic police authorities and several local politicians.
The circumstances of Ram Singh's death call for a thorough inquiry and those responsible for such grave lapses should be immediately brought to book.
It is not a time for a lynch mob celebration of the death since the chance that our investigating system had of redeeming itself has been lost. Ram Singh's death in the present circumstances cannot reaffirm people's faith in the investigative or judicial system which was much needed.
We demand a thorough inquiry of the death.
Kavita Krishnan is Secretary, All India Progressive Women's Association (AIPWA)
>>Did I paraphrase your position fairly?
>>Did I paraphrase your position fairly?
So, according to you, because I loathe and despise rapists, I am an Orwellian party hack, and oh, yes, I also somehow caused the hanging of this Afzal fellow. Did I paraphrase your position fairly?
This is all quite instructive, and vastly interesting, better even than the Progressive Women lady's original thesis.
>> "Mine sincere condolences from the core of heart too Bi Saroja and Faruki
because as usual Insaaf nahin Hua Afzal ke saath ."
Your usual hateful interjection without any understanding of what is being talked about!
K.V.Bapa Rao (to Saroja),
>> if this person (Afzal) was someone close to you, my condolences I'm sure.
What a mean spirited and perfidious comment!' Faruki
Mine sincere condolences from the core of heart too Bi Saroja and Faruki
because as usual Insaaf nahin Hua Afzal ke saath .
"Delhi gangrape accused Ram Singh quietly cremated by kin"
His ashes should flushed down the toilet.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT