In an interview to Dola Mitra, Mother House spokesperson Sunita Kumar was brief, to the point and dismissive of the charges.
What is the Mother House response to the Canadian article?
Mother wouldn’t have been the least bit perturbed. She would have said, “Bless them. Pray for them.” She said that about Christopher Hitchens.
What was Hitchens’ reaction to that?
He said, “Who is she to pray for me?” Mother smiled when she heard that.
What about allegations of funds not reaching the poor?
Mother owned just two sarees. She lived a simple life and slept on a bed over which there was not even a ceiling fan. What would she do with money? Yes, she was frugal for the sake of the poor. But she didn’t deprive them. If you judge her by the standards of five-star comforts, then obviously she wouldn’t measure up. But that was not her aim.
What can you say about her “secret” accounts?
Mother did not have an individual account. Funds went to the Missionaries of Charity funds as far as I am aware.
And the “dubious” sources?
She accepted donations gracefully and gratefully.
Why do you think there is an effort to vilify Mother Teresa?
There are always people who try to bring down someone who is doing good work, someone who is great. History is replete with such examples.
A lady who is incharge of protecting the lies of another lady, who claimed to have a miracle done to her, so that another lady, Mother Theresa recieved Sainthood.
Gender nexus here.
Ignorance is bliss!
I am very impressed with the very luxurious setting in which Ms. Sunita Kumar has been photographed!
Does anyone knows about Sunita Kumar? Seriously, she is speaking for Mother Teresa and her surroundings (I assume it is her house) and her dress kind of think me about "mother terresa" would have that kind of individual as a spokeswomen?
I do not want to reach any conclusion, but it certainly raises red flag!
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT