Yet another season of Kaun Banega Crorepati is over. Which will give me some time to build an annexe to ‘Pratiksha’, my house in Mumbai. This is, of course, for a specific purpose—to store the 400 outfits which had been made for this ‘crorepati’. I am keeping them because there’s my acting career to think of. Fans have informed me my outfits on the show were ideal if I were to do roles like that of a postman, theatre usher, five-star restaurant waiter, parking attendant, hospital orderly, liftman etc. On some days, I had even worn overcoats which made me look like a Russian general on the warfront. That I can use them for my two-and-a-half minute role as Vasileyevich in the new Hollywood version of War and Peace (this role, incidentally, is longer by half a minute to the one I did in The Great Gatsby).
Some notes on the latest KBC now. This one’s not really a general knowledge quiz but an opportunity for the underprivileged from India’s neglected cowbelt to show their mettle and command over the rashtrabhasha. They need to know Hindi proverbs, quote couplets and so on. Even I’ll switch over to rustic rashtrabhasha. For if I, who is from Allahabad, did not help the underprivileged from the cowbelt, who will? Naturally, no one on the hot seat will develop cold feet and everyone will walk away with at least `6.40 lakh or above. The questions will have to be framed in such a way that all this is made possible. The candidates from Bhagalpur or Bundelkhand will always be asked questions pertaining to their regions. I don’t want Crorepati to be an intellectual exercise, it’ll be my own version of the Garibi Hatao programme, and will be more effective than anything launched by the Gandhi family.
The participants must have just one quality, love and affection for me and the Bachchan name. This already comes through in the show. Men and women, boys and girls, they all fall at my feet, hug me, dedicate couplets to me, bring me gifts. They ooh-aah at every opportunity. I have a great time flirting with the female participants (the Katrinas and Kareenas say they cannot romance a 70-year-old, but KBC has compensated for it all). From next year, I will also ask the sponsors to build a small temple with my idol in it on the set so that every participant can first worship there and do aarti before entering the stage. I think I deserve such adulation. And even Computerji agrees with me!
The Mumbai-based satirist is the creator of ‘Trishanku’; E-mail your secret diarist: vgangadhar70 AT gmail.com
V. Gangadhar’s Secret Diary of Amitabh Bachchan (Feb 18) wasn't just a satire but a real depiction of the mindless adulation and hero-worship that goes on in the big tamasha that’s Kaun Banega Crorepati.
Shyamal Barua, Calcutta
Gangadhar’s Secret Diary column is horribly boring and not worth the paper it's printed on. Please cancel it. Similarly, Fine Living makes little sense; how many can afford Rs 2,000-3,000 on a meal?
Purushotam C. Bafna, Gokak
KBC only follows the official policy of Soni. Ever since AB has made a deal with the devil, his stars are on the up and up. KBC is perhaps the apex of payment received in lieu of his soul. It is only pathetic to watch girls fit to be his great-great grand daughters flirting with him. Combine this with movie of the genre Cheeni Kum, Buddha Hoga Tera etc, it leaves a very bad taste in mouth.
There is no need to carry out the charade of a quiz. Just rename the show as Ath AB Katha. Call asaram and put AB in the background. asaram will tell the wonderful Epic of AB. ppl would go gaga over their Lord and Master.
He is a decent sort, how he is able to digest all this crap is surprising. May be the cash is tempting because he has seen some very bad times. Also his son not doing so well he wants to earn, save and leave behind some cash for his son.
Notice few errors in my previous comment, "has become his fan again" and "attract attention" ...excuse if you notice nay other errors. Thank You
As Mr. Bachchan says, when someone tries to uplift society, all negative forces come forward to block it and he gives the example of The Rakshasas trying to block the tapas undertaken by Rishis. Like wise, many forces might try to criticize an individual to test the patience, to test the dedication of the individual. But take my word, who has been a fan of him since my school days and now as a mature individual, a mother and a citizen of the world, has became his fan again not because he is an actor but because he proved himself a great human being, let me repeat A GREAT HUMAN BEING. I have followed his blog since day 20, a blog he writes not for adulation and to increase his following but genuinely wants to connect with his fans. No other actor gives back to his fans as much as he does, he meets his fans after a long hard day, he treats them with respect, he looks on them as his family, he does not use it to promote his movies nor programs. After reading his blog and interacting on blog for almost four years, eight months one gets to know the individual to some extent, and him wanting to help people is not for the adulation you talk about, but out of real, genuine love for people and wanting to help. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but when one is trying to help society, try not to bring them down. When you do that, you are not bringing the individual you are making fun of, but yourself and humanity that you and he are part of. You are bringing the society that individual is trying to help. It might be your need to attract attraction being negative, but even celebrities are humans and have feelings just like you do, the reason why I tried being nice and state what I had to say, in a nice gentle way. Thank you
@mr V. Gangadhar who told yoy to fall down in feet of big B. u stupid man . think before writing such kind of hate speech.big B never says to fall down into my feet not even says to young girls to hug me etc. people want to spend more n more time with him bcose the love his humbleness,stardome,simplicity. he is the most familiar,clearly outspoken never care who is young or old,hindu or muslim ,rich or poor , his behaviour remmain same to the all.Since last 28 years every sunday people are coming to see him at his house as a huge crowd. when Amitabh bachan said plz come im ur god.. No dear ..! No..!
After hanging of afzal guru he only said justice should be done what we do. no one khan or other celebrity dared to say this.pl. dont give such kind of comment. be a good citizen.
Sour grapes of course for the author, Shyamal and the rest of us.
The adulation might seem over the top to us but as visible on TV it does appear genuine. And Mr. Bachhan does take it with an endearing balance of grace and self-deprecation and most importantly without making the other party feel servile unlike most of our elite "feudals" would.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT