Statement by External Affairs Minister on the killing of two Indian Soldiers in the Mendhar sector of LoC
The recent incident of the killing of two Indian soldiers in the Mendhar sector and the barbaric mutilation of their bodies has been condemned in the strongest possible terms. Government has deplored this grave provocation and repugnant act of the Pakistan army and called on the Government of Pakistan to carry out a proper investigation of this unacceptable action and ensure that this does not recur. This was immediately conveyed by our Director General Military Operations to his Pakistani counterpart after this incident and reiterated during the Brigadier level Flag Meeting held at Chakan da Bagh yesterday. Foreign Secretary had summoned the Pakistan High Commissioner on January 09, a day after this heinous incident and lodged a strong protest on the actions of the Pakistan army.
It should not be felt that the brazen denial and the lack of a proper response from the Government of Pakistan to our repeated demarches on this incident will be ignored and that bilateral relations could be unaffected or that there will be business as usual. Such actions by the Pakistan army, which are in contravention of all norms of international conduct, not only constitute a grave provocation but lead us to draw appropriate conclusions about Pakistan’s seriousness in pursuing normalisation of relations with India.
Salman sahib, jis tarah ki ghatna Pakistan ke dwara ki gayi hai uske baad aapko lagta hai ki sarkar ki taraf se lagatar protest darj kiya gaya lekin Pakistan ki higher authority ki taraf se abhi tak koi response nahi aaya. Pakistan lagatar yeh keh raha hai ki Bharat ki taraf se failaya gaya ek propaganda hai. [On why there is no response from higher authorities in Pakistan to India's registration of protests and why Pakistan has consistently called it a propaganda spread by the Indian side]
Hum jitna spasht shabdon main aur uske saath jo hamare paas tathye the, unko spasht roop se Pakistan ke adhikariyon ke saamne rakh sakte the vho humne rakhe hain aur ISI karaan aaj hum yeh baat aapke saamne rakh rahein hain kyunki hum apna dayitav samajhte hain, mante hain ki humko bahut samajhdari sujhbooj and dridh sankalp ke saath is sthithi ka saamna hai aur yehi karaan hai ki humne yeh baat aapke saamne rakhi hai. Aage stithi main kya parivartan aata hai aur aage aur koi karvayi dekhne ko milti hai to uske bare main bhi hum aapko koi soochna denge.
We have put all the facts available to us before the Pakistani authorities in as clear words as possible. And that is why we are putting this on record as we consider it our responsibility that we should face this situation with wisdom, and firm conviction. How the situation changes in future, and if we see any action, we'll keep you fully informed
You said that it is not going to be business as usual. What tangibles is the Government talking about?
Well, it's best that we leave it at this point. I think specifics of what might be necessary or found useful are decisions that will be taken as we move forward. At present, we feel that it's important that a convergent single point of view on behalf of the government which reflects a large section of our public opinion should be made clear and let it be known to everyone here as well as across the border that we are extremely determined and serious in this concern of ours and we have taken resort to all such instruments and all such methods that are available to us at this time.
"Well, it's best that we leave it at this point.."
Had the soldiers been killed by Kejriwal, we would have seen a more combative Salman Khurshid. As things now, the man is epitome of reason and conciliation.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT