Originally published on October 27, 1996 as Jackson Pays Thackeray, when Michael Jackson visited Mumbai . Copyright: Busybee, courtesy Farzana Contractor.
A lot of people are wondering why Michael Jackson is paying Raj Thackeray Rs. 4 crore. As a matter of fact, Michael Jackson himself is wondering. It happened like this:
While Mr. Jackson was performing in Manila, his agent came to him and said: "Jacko, I've got some bad news. Out of your collections in Mumbai, you will have to pay Rs. 4 crore to a dude called Raj Thackeray."
"Hey, guy, this is bad news, real bad. You get it bad, man, bad," said Mr. Jackson. "Why do I have to do some dumb thing like that. I ain't paying no money to no Raj Thackeray."
"I am sorry, but I don't think we have much choice," the agent said.
"If you don't pay, we don't have a show in Mumbai, and you know we have already cancelled one show there, when the place was called Bombay."
"Hey, hey, my heart beats for Bombay, hey, hey," Mr. Jackson said.
"Who's this Raj Thackeray, is he the big man?"
"Well, I don't know exactly," said the agent. "But I am told his uncle is a big man and always packs a remote control on him. Nobody wants to fall foul of him in Mumbai, not even the Wizcraft boys.
You best pay up the Rs. 4 crore. What's it to you! Popcorn!"
"I've got to pay, I've got to pay, yes, siree, I've got to pay. But I still want to know the set·up," Mr. Jackson said. "What if I put up a show and then refuse to pay. Who's going to make me."
"I wouldn't take that chance," the agent said. "This Raj Thackeray has been known to take defaulters on a moonwalk. Recently, there has been a case, though I don't have details of it."
"Well, what's he want the Rs. 4 crore for? I'd like to know that. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I told you, I told you, oh, baby, I told you. Yeah, yeah, yeah."
"Oh, don't worry about that, it's for 'a good cause," the agent said.
"Your money will be spent on the Shiv Udyog Sena."
"That's a song, man, a new album label, hey, hey that sounds good," Mr. Jackson said.
"No, it is not a new album, though you could use it for that, I am sure Mr. Thackeray would not mind. Not after you give him all that money," the agent said. "The Udyog Sena is Raj Thackeray's agency to employ 27 lakh jobless youth in Maharashtra and your Rs. 4 crore will set it up."
"Are these 27 lakh unemployed my fans?" Mr. Jackson asked.
"If they are not, they will become your fans," the agent said.
"Well, if we have to pay Mr. Raj Thackeray, we have to pay," Mr. Jackson said.
"Yes," said the agent, "and don't take it so badly. Just think for the Miss World contest they are having in Bangalore, whoever becomes Miss World has to pay four million dollars to Mr. Uddhav Thackeray."
Only Busybee could have written a column like that and still be called over for a warm beer.
Well said by Busybee, but four crore's just chota-maal for MNS. Only God knows how much Mota-Maal the Thackerays have made as "Goonda-Tax" from Enron, Vedanta, SNC Lavalin etc., besides getting Hafta-protection money from Ambanis and others.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT