After Arvind Kejriwal exposed the Robert Vadra-DLFf deals, Congress leader Digvijay Singh charged ex-IB director Ajit Doval of orchestrating the attacks on Sonia and Rahul Gandhi in league with the BJP. Doval sets the record straight in a chat with S.N.M. Abdi. Excerpts:
Digvijay says you are hand-in-glove with RSS swayamsevak S. Gurumurthy and Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy in defaming the Nehru-Gandhi family...
I have no comment to offer. But I might at an opportune time have a debate with him on a public forum.
Have you ever met Digvijay?
Never in my life. I was in Delhi mostly during 37 years of government service while he was in Madhya Pradesh. We’ve never interacted on a personal or professional level. I have nothing against him. We never had a problem with one another.
So, are you hurt by his charge of you being in cahoots with BJP? He says the Vivekananda International Foundation (VIF), of which you are the director, is a BJP front run by intelligence officials and RSS swayamsevaks.
How can I be in cahoots with the BJP? One can be in cahoots with the ISI or CIA. BJP is a mainstream party like the Congress or SP. Can anyone say Natwar Singh was in cahoots with the Congress? The level public discourse has sunk to is disturbing. Don’t forget I’m the highest decorated officer.
But are you a BJP man?
I was made director of IB by the Congress government. Indira Gandhi and Rajiv have written excellent things about me in my career records. The Congress sent me abroad for 12 years, BJP sent me to Kashmir! I’ve publicly championed Chidambaram’s counter-terrorism policy which BJP state governments vehemently oppose.
Does VIF meddle in domestic politics?
It’s an intellectual forum for pondering over strategic and security issues. But we steer clear of national politics.
But do you interact with Gurumurthy and Subramanian Swamy?
Of course I do.
Are you aware that you are under IB surveillance?
I don’t know whether I’m being watched. But IB is only doing its duty if it’s watching me—it’s the eyes and ears of the government.
“How can I be in cahoots with the BJP? One can be in cahoots with the ISI or the CIA, but the BJP is a mainstream party, like the Congress.... Can anyone say Natwar Singh was in cahoots with the Congress?” Excellent reply by Ajit Doval.
M.K. Saini, Delhi
Maybe Ajit Doval is trying to do a J. Edgar Hoover.
Kishore Dasmunshi, Calcutta
In Anwaar mian's eyes, anyone who disagrees with him or the Congress is in cahoots with the RSS and/or BJP.
Why somebody could be in cahoots with parivar just like CIA ?
When after a Chintan Baithak, people from different walks of life,i.e., NGO-wallah, Thinktank-wallah, Media person, politico, sundry sadhu(?) start a smear campaign against a group of people with eyes firmly on upcoming state and national elections.
Then, slowly over the time solid(but secret) links with parivar are revealed.
The magic word is secret link thus "in cahoot".
Just Joe King,
If you can't see it, you won't see it, whatever I do!
@Anwaar:I did actually.
Now help us mental midgets out by copy pasting the lines you think helped you draw your magnificent conclusions!
>> how you came to this magnificent conclusion that Doval is in 'bed' with the BJP!!
Read this interview again. Read it slowly. Read it between the lines.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT