The serious allegations levelled on October 5, 2012, by Mr Arvind Kejriwal and Mr Prashant Bhushan against Mr Robert Vadra, the husband of Ms Priyanka Gandhi and son-in-law of Mrs Sonia Gandhi, the Congress(I) President, cannot and should not be dismissed as politically motivated or opportunistic. They may ultimately turn out to be so, but till they are proved to be so, they have to be treated seriously.
The allegations, if true, indicate serious wrong-doing by Mr Vadra on two counts.
First, managing to obtain an unsecured loan from the DLF company and, second, unduly benefitting in some property transactions as a result of special consideration allegedly shown to him by the DLF.
The public perception will be that he benefitted in this transaction not on merits, but by virtue of his relationship with Priyanka and Sonia Gandhi. The allegations will create doubts about the personal honour and integrity of Mr Vadra.
It is for Mr Vadra to prove these allegations to be wrong and misplaced and establish his integrity and honour. He should not benefit from his relationship with Priyanka and Sonia Gandhi for doing so.
As of now, unless it is established that Priyanka and Sonia Gandhi were aware of his alleged wrong-doings and did not try to stop them, they have no responsibility for proving their innocence. It is for Mr Vadra to prove his innocence.
Mr Vadra has two options:
He seems to be trying to avoid countering the allegations head-on and take cover behind the authority of Mrs Sonia Gandhi, who also seems to be unwisely trying to extend her protection to the alleged wrong-doings of her son-in-law. She and her party does not seem to realise that this could ultimately lead to Sonia Gandhi and Priyanka being viewed as accomplices after the commission of wrong-doing and cast suspicions on their honour and integrity.
It is time for Mr Vadra to come to the forefront and defend his honour and integrity with the help of his lawyers. It is not for the government or the Congress to give him any legal assistance.
B. Raman is Additional Secretary (retd), Cabinet Secretariat, Govt. of India, New Delhi, and, presently, Director, Institute For Topical Studies, Chennai, and Associate of the Chennai Centre For China Studies.
Can somebody let us all know if any of Vadra's companies take fixed deposits from public? going by the returns he has generated for his companies, he can easily assure the public 15-20% yearly returns. also maybe he can faciliate interest and capital free loans from real estate companies to buys properties from themselves. This will be the best gift that congress can give Aam aadmi
But how can Sonia g stop mr vadra wen she herself is doing these thing and on a much larger scale,(she is one of the top 3 richest politicians in the world) he is just a novice and Trying to learn how to make money from her .And according to mr vadra himself he cannot expand now ,he will expand later ,so it's just the beginning of his large scale expansion plan.
What is the objective of this tamasha?
Any Tom, Dick and Harry starts jumping up and down in street claiming so and so is corrupt and demands so and so defend himself.
If you have such a water tight case why not go to SC ?
Who the **** gave you authority to make these allegations in press ?
There is a delibrate campaign to belittle democratic process and institutions.
It is no surprise that the situation has come to such a pass that nobody in media even questions the motive behind such smear campaigns. Nobody asks them to go to Courts with the proof.
Now everybody knows why the Congress and its boss is against complete foolproof Loakpal Bill to cover all citizens of India. Everybody knows about Congress, no need to explain
Robert vadra enjoys special privileges like black cat protection, free movement without check in ports and perhaps not incometaxed. There is flaw in the grant of unsecured loan. You cannot expect priyanka to stop Robert from 420 activities since she and her mother are accomplices providing funds for his activities. All activities are pre cooked with the aid of the financial adviser. If 150 crore worth property is purchased for 5 crores or 5 crore worth is purchased for 50 lakhs, what about guide line value of the property for stamp duty? If there is undervaluation of property to evade stamp duty then it is a criminal activity. LTTE is already dead as DODO. But our IB and other security agencies are still falsely avering only in order to continue the security cover for sonia and family perhaps only at her behest. It is easy to handle these golmol activities once the privileged position is done away with. In this case, the court can strike down the transfer of 350 acres of land acquired by haryana government since it was originally acquired for development. ARvind Kejrival and others must go for PIL in order to nullify the land transfer which will hammer death blow on DLF and similar criminals.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT