We have not edited or changed the style or spellings used in the transcripts submitted to court. Please allow a few seconds to elapse before the recordings begin.
22 May 2009, 01:42:37
Raja: Raja here
Nira: Hi! I got a message from Barkha Dutt just now
Nira: Barkha Dutt
Raja: What does she say?
Nira: She says… that she has been following up the story with Prime Minister’s Office tonight. In fact, she was the one who told me that Sonia Gandhi went there. She says that he has no problem with you, but he has a problem with Baalu
Raja: …but it has to be discussed with Leader
Nira: yeah, yeah… he has to discuss with the Leader. He has to tell…
Raja: It will be discussed in the morning… why unnecessarily Congress… [indiscernible] tie-up is going out
Nira: No, but then the question is about Azhagiri, no?
Nira: Azhagiri’s people are saying: why is Maran getting Cabinet when he is such a senior leader himself?
Raja: That is different, but all these things must be explored and disclosed
Nira: That’s right. That’s right. I told her to get Congress…
Raja: At least, one to one, let it be disclosed to Leader
Nira: One to one?
Raja: One to one. Somebody should give a message, at least in a sealed cover, that we are having serious problems to Baalu
Nira: From Congress, right?
N: Okay, I’ll tell her. She is talking to Ahmed Patel, so I will talk to him
Raja: Let him [sic] call at least over phone: Sir, this is problem… we are having high regard, we are having no problem with Raja, but problem is Baalu. Tell.
Nira: Then how will you resolve the other problem?
Raja: Other problems we will take care of slowly, because now Leader comes down
Nira: Uh huh.
R: Don’t worry
N: Now Leader comes down to three, no?
Raja: Comes down for [sic] three…
Raja: Even you are saying that Maran is not fit for infrastructure… he is having controversy… alright, let him be accommodated in the existing ministry… at least we will suggest
Raja: Hmm… you suggest, you send a message
Nira: Uh, huh
May 22, 2009, 13:20:29
NIRA calling RAJA. Put on hold
RAJA: Tell me, Nira
NIRA: The thing is that the Congress has been totally confused as to who they need to speak to.
NIRA: Who they need to speak to in the DMK
RAJA: Ah… somebody should fly to Leader
NIRA: No, no… That is why, I am now… they’re going to speak to Kani in a little while, and then Kani is going to take them to Leader directly, and let Kani…
RAJA: That is good, that is good.
NIRA: Yeah? I have done… just told them that, because they’re completely confused who to talk to. Yeah?
RAJA: Let them talk to Kani
NIRA: Yeah, but Kani should also be sensible enough to say that she does not want anything for herself. No? I have told her that…
NIRA: …but you also make sure.
RAJA: No problem
NIRA: I told them. I told them that whatever…
RAJA: See, tell Kani: let her call Leader, (tell him) this is the problem, shall I bring the people?
NIRA: Yeah, because what they’re saying is that they will not give infrastructure to Baalu and Maran. They should say that to Leader directly, no?
RAJA: No problem. Look See… let them go along with Kani, and let them tell that we are having problem with these fellows
RAJA: That’s right. That’s what they have to do… they were confused… what happened is: for the UPA meeting, Maran went along… so they think Maran is the interlocutor, he is the person who’s going to talk, so there is this…
RAJA: Not at all. He came for assistance, that’s all
NIRA: No. I know, but you see this is a wrong message that has gone out, and they don’t know
May 23, 2009, 14:29:41
NIRA: Raja how are you?
RAJA: Haan, What she is telling, Kani is telling?
NIRA: She’s telling that she’s okay about it. She has no problem…
NIRA: …but the only thing is that somebody has to go talk to Azhagiri, which you have to do.
NIRA: And tell him how Maranhas gone and told…
RAJA: Haan, I already spoke with him, I already spoke with him…
NIRA: You told him what he has told the Congress leaders in Delhi?
RAJA: I know. So who planted in the minds of the Congress saying that Azhagiri doesn’t know English… I know…
NIRA: No, no, no, no…. Not only that. Not only that. That he and Stalin tomorrow will be the only ones left to run the party because the old man is senile and he is not going to be around any longer, and therefore Congress will be happy doing business with him because it will be him… him eventually, and he controls Stalin.
NIRA: This is what he has said.
RAJA: Oh, ho, ho, ho!
NIRA: And that Azhagiri is criminal…
NIRA: And he has not even studied more than 5th standard.
NIRA: That’s the exact thing that he has told.
RAJA: Okay, okay
NIRA: You go and tell him this, no?
RAJA: No I shared with Azhagiri…Azhagiri in turn went to speak with Leader.
NIRA: No, but he has also said this… that in Delhi, I am the only one that you have to deal with eventually because, any case, Stalin will remain in the State
RAJA: I know, see, I know what type of propaganda he will manage…
May 24, 2009, 11:05:11
Raja: Tell me.
Nira: Mr Raja?
Raja: Tell me, Nira, anything?
Nira: I sent you an SMS. I’ve been speaking to Kani, so I just thought that… basically what they are saying is that you should be there.
Nira: Leader is generally is saying that you should be there, because of the, you know, the Dalit dispensation, all that, you know. The Dravidian, the party, and all that… saying that Leader, if it was left to him, he would have focused on the party first. This is unfortunate that his family is coming in the way and Cho Ramaswamy has given a favourable remark that it should be limited to this thing
Nira: But I’ve been talking to Kani, she spoke to me, she said, “No independent.” They are not giving independent… just now.
Raja: My case is clear, yes?
Nira: Yours is clear, yeah. Your case was cleared last night only
Nira: No, but what is happening with Daya?
Raja: Rest of the thing is… Textiles or Fertilisers
Nira: Not for Daya…
Raja: Either of them.
Nira: But Azhagiri or Daya? Only one can come, no?
Raja: No, two. Two can come.
Raju: Baalu will be the problem. I hope [sic]
Nira: I think that will be difficult for the Leader to justify three family members.
Raja: That is it, that is… (chuckles) everybody knows
Nira: No, no, she said that. Kani told me this last night, that’s what the father told her yesterday.
N: That for him to justify three family members will become very difficult. He recognises that problem.
Raja: What can you do? We’ll see, let us wait.
Nira: Yeah. I think he will have to relook at that. You’re all meeting him individually now? Or the meeting is still going on?
Raja: Not at all, not at all.
Nira: Narayanan’s meeting is going on?
Raja: Narayanan’s meeting is over. He has gone to Delhi, with cover.
Nira: He’s gone to?
Raja: He has gone to catch the flight… with cover.
Nira: Narayanan, yeah?
Raja: List, list…with the list, he has gone out.
Nira: He has gone out with the list, no?
Raja: I didn't know what is inside the cover.
Nira: And Kani? Is with father?
Raja: Maybe yes… maybe she knows.
Nira: I will call her now. And you are not there?
Raja: I am not yet there.
Nira: You’re not there? And Maran? Maran is there, no?
Raja: (He is) there, yes
Nira: Why you didn’t go?
Raja: I didn’t go.
Raja: Alright… why should we go?
Nira: You should be there, no?
Raja: No problem… morning I met, and thereafter I came back for another work
Nira: And Azhagiri… he knows what Maran has been saying about him?
Raja: …it is known to Azhagiri.
Nira: It is, no?
Raja: It is known to Azhagiri, but he cannot talk with father… timely (sic) he will speak, only thing is, Maran will start the campaign against me…
R: …that has to be taken care of
Nira: You have to fight differently.
R: Hmm… he may tell the press Prime Minister is coming again... this and that… spectrum…
Nira: No, no… we are handling… don’t worry. We have to take so much off, you know, even Congress had to make that statement, no? I spoke to Sunil Mittal…Did Chandoliya tell you?
Raja: I didn't know
Nira: I told him to stop. I told him, it doesn’t help…
Raja: Hmm …tell Sunil Mittal, you have to work along with Raja for another five years. So, don’t …
Nira: I told him that. I told him that. But then you also have to distance yourself from Anil. You must be neutral.
Raja: Ah that we can keep.
Raja-Radia Tapes are riveting and a good plot for a movie and Godfather of the Indian political venality, Karunanidhi could do the honour-write a script for the movie. Still unclear who is the bagman for Raja.
We at Outlookindia.com welcome feedback and your comments, including scathing criticism
1. Scathing, passionate, even angry critiques are welcome, but please do not indulge in abuse and invective. Our Primary concern is to keep the debate civil. We urge our users to try and express their disagreements without being disagreeable. Personal attacks are not welcome. No ad hominem please.
2. Please do not post the same message again and again in the same or different threads
3. Please keep your responses confined to the subject matter of the article you are responding to. Please note that our comments section is not a general free-for-all but for feedback to articles/blogs posted on the site
4. Our endeavour is to keep these forums unmoderated and unexpurgated. But if any of the above three conditions are violated, we reserve the right to delete any comment that we deem objectionable and also to withdraw posting privileges from the abuser. Please also note that hate-speech is punishable by law and in extreme circumstances, we may be forced to take legal action by tracing the IP addresses of the poster.
5. If someone is being abusive or personal, or generally being a troll or a flame-baiter, please do not descend to their level. The best response to such posters is to ignore them and send us a message at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT
6. Please do not copy and paste copyrighted material. If you do think that an article elsewhere has relevance to the point you wish to make, please only quote what is considered fair-use and provide a link to the article under question.
7. There is no particular outlookindia.com line on any subject. The views expressed in our opinion section are those of the author concerned and not that of all of outlookindia.com or all its authors.
8. Please also note that you are solely responsible for the comments posted by you on the site. The comments could be deleted or edited entirely at our discretion if we find them objectionable. However, the mere fact of their existence on our site does not mean that we necessarily approve of their contents. In short, the onus of responsibility for the comments remains solely with the authors thereof. Outlookindia.com or any of its group publications, may, however, retains the right to publish any of these comments, with or without editing, in any medium whatsoever. It is therefore in your own interest to be careful before posting.
9.Outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for how any search engine -- such as Google, Bing etc -- caches or displays these comments. Please note that you are solely responsible for posting these comments and it is a privilege being granted to our registered users which can be withdrawn in case of abuse. To reiterate:
a. Comments once posted can only be deleted at the discretion of outlookindia.com
b. The comments reflect the views of the authors and not of outlookindia.com
c. outlookindia.com is not responsible in any manner whatsoever for the way search engines cache or display these comments
d. Please therefore take due caution before you post any comments as your words could potentially be used against you
10. We have an online thread for our comments policy:
You are welcome to post your suggestions here or in case you have a specific issue, to directly email us at Mail AT outlookindia DOT com with the subject header COMPLAINT